Shower wall panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if I can glue a shower panel to a tiled wall using silicone sealant, specifically the 785 Dow Corning. Or do you always need to use proper glue? It's not like people will pull on the panels.

Also, the panels usually have a tongue and groove fit between them. However, I've been told you still need to add some silicone in between when used in the shower area. Is there any reason I can't use a plain, thin sheet of plastic panel on the wall, such as this:
https://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.uk/multipanel-laminate-sheet

I'd then put some silicone sealant in the small gap between two sheets.

Sponsored Links
Personally I use a no nails type of adhesive, spirit based to secure the sheets......its what's recommended by multipanel. Brace the sheets with timber if necessary until the adhesive hardens. A tiny bead of silicone between the sheets is recommended but not difficult to do, and the boards will prove to be much more satisfactory than the laminate - which is affected by any uneven surface of the tiles.
John :)

The idea behind me using silicone sealant instead of proper glue is that I can easily remove the panel in the future if needed, then put it back again. The no-nail stuff sets quite hard, so I'll probably damage the panel when trying to remove it.
The alternative is to use screws with the tongue and groove type, but that's a lot of drilling while I could glue straight to the wall instead.

Sponsored Links
For sure, there's nothing to stop you proceeding any way you like - I just followed the manufacturers recommendations. I certainly don't intend to remove the sheets!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back