Lamona oven intermittent trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Lamona integral oven, 2.4 kw wired up to a 13amp plug.
The oven is at least two years old (it was here when we moved in), and the element has played up a couple of times (not heating properly once or twice), and the red LED light that indicates it's on often comes on overnight when nobody has switched it on.

Came home from work the other day to find the house a bit darker than usual.

The oven had tripped the consumer unit (which is about a year old). It hadn't been on for long as the wife had done all the prep on the (gas) hob.

I put the switch back on with the oven off, on switching the oven back on it tripped it again. Did it one more time for luck and then decided to go to the pub for dinner. Switched it all off. Obviously because it had tripped, washing machine, dishwasher etc weren't running the second or third time.

I'd resigned myself to having to replace it, but thought I'd check this morning whilst everyone was out. We had recently got a new kettle so I wondered if that had interfered with the ecosystem - and thought I'd try plugging something into the same socket if it did trip so I could establish if it was the oven. So turned kettle off at the mains and put on the oven. It came on. So switched the kettle back on, then the microwave and the toaster and the cooker hood and the under-cupboard light. The oven stayed on. Tried turning it on and off a few times and putting devices on in various combinations, no trip at all.

No damp where the socket is - or in the house generally.

Shall I just put it down to weird intermittent device problem and bring in a replacement oven (a better make), or is there anything here that sound sinister that I should be more concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, what exactly is tripping? MCB or RCD (RCDs have a test button)

If an 'LED' comes on when the oven is off then something is wrong inside.

Lamona integral oven
Cheap Howdens' own brand, often used by refurbishers who don't plan to live in the place for long, if at all.

The oven is at least two years old
Possibly reaching the point on its journey from showroom to scrapyard when it's time to fold away its table and return its seat back to the upright position.

Shall I ... bring in a replacement oven (a better make)?
Unless you plan to move soon, it's only a matter of time. Almost certainly not worth spending much money on - perhaps you should start looking for bargains..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back