Lamp Holder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My number plate lamp has a metal wire which holds the lens in place under tension.

Over the years the wire has corroded and now broken in half, so the lens is precariously held in place.

New old stock holders are available at £30-odd quid, or I can source a used one at £10 but the condition isn't guaranteed. With this in mind I was going to try and devise a way of keeping it in place. As you can see in the picture, the wire is bent 90 degrees at each end, where it slots into a hole either side.

Is it possible to put a wire under tension at home? I can replicate the original shape of the wire onto a new length (copper? steel?) but unsure what to do after.

Attachments

• IMG_3650.jpg
    IMG_3650.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
I think that will be spring steel, hence why it will hold the lens in place. May be worth a try if you can pick up some spring steel. You can always purchase a nos if it doesn’t work.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Tie wrap? Then thread the tie-wrap through something like a cupped washer with a hole drilled in each side to mimic the knob bit that holds the clip in place on the glass.

Last edited:
Cable tie for me too - a thin one.
Maybe you could back off the bolts just enough to slip it behind?
I seem to recognise that fitting, but can't place it!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I wanted to avoid the cable tie as I thought it'd look a bit bodge job! I might go for the spring steel -- didn't know you could buy it. Will see if the local hardware shops have something. If it doesn't work I'll do as @Burnerman says and trap cable tie under the bolts either side. Would need to find something inconspicuous

It's from my Gazelle but used on other Rootes cars including the Minx and Rapier. I think MG cars used a very similar-looking one, too.

Just to close this off. By sheer luck I managed to find a pack of four of the very clamps I need for this job! All I need do now is remove from the car, clean up and fit the new clamp. Chuffed with it!

Attachments

• 92061D39-B012-4392-B80C-A44289FFD3BD.jpeg
    92061D39-B012-4392-B80C-A44289FFD3BD.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Back