Lamps heat output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My other half wanted a couple of her lamps to look brighter , they have 60w candle lamps as stated as the max to be used on these lamps.
On investigation i found these new effecient lamps that give out 100w of light but they are classed as 18w , my question is can i put these in the lamps rated at 60 w as i dont understand how this correlates to me i only have 18w to contend with so should not cause any damage or is it the fact of the 100 w giving out to much heat , all help apprieciated .

Sponsored Links
Lamp output isn't measured in Watts - that's the power consumed (and dissipated) by the lamp.

So an 18W lamp will consume and dissipate 18W - the manufacturer's claim is that the light output is equivalent to a 100W GLS lamp.

The bottom line is that you shouldn't have a problem replacing a 60W lamp with a low energy 18W lamp.

Approximately 95% of the power consumed by an incandescent light bulb is emitted as heat, rather than as visible light.
An incandescent light bulb, with this ~5% efficiency, is about one quarter as efficient as a fluorescent lamp (about 20% efficiency), and produces about six times as much heat with the same amounts of light from both sources.

Incandescent lamps can usually be replaced by self-ballasted compact fluorescent light bulbs, which fit directly into standard sockets (but contain mercury, and thus should not be disposed of in a regular rubbish bin). This lets a 100 W incandescent lamp be replaced by a 23-watt fluorescent bulb, while still producing the same amount of light.

Sponsored Links
do not rely on manufacturers claims of bulbs being 5 or 5.5 times the light output you will just be dissapointed

simply multiply the wattage input off a low energy bulb by 4 so a 17w bulb would = 68w
and as said above a 23w is as near as dam it 100w ;)

Interesting ... are the incandescent lamps being done away with ?
as i take it they where the ones recently removed from the shelves , just curious :LOL:

Yes - you can no longer buy the type of incandescent lamp which can light a whole room with 100W.

But you can still buy the type of incandescent lamp which will not light a whole room with 500W.

Go figure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back