land and permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am new to these forums and hoping for as much advice asi can get.i have recently bought a piece of disused rubbish filled land and i have now cleared it and i would like to build my first house on it.i do not have te money to pay for a architect t draw me one but if i can i would like to design/draw my own house if tis is possible?could somebody also tell me what the prcess is with planning permission ie who do you send the application to and how do you get an application?>and how long does planning permission take in general?thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you want to by-pass an architect/designer/technician?

No offence but if you are so naive as to be asking questions as basic as yours then you are in for a long ride.

Local offices (those skilled in the drawing business) will be au-fait with what can and can not get through the planning process that will be peculiar to your area.

Granted, the drawings that planning will like to see will not require the detail that building control require, but they do require a degree of accuracy, thought processes that effect future drawings and a consideration for existing surroundings.

Once you are done with planning the fun really begins. :p

Go onto your local council's website and look at the planning applications that are currently going through the process. If you search for new buildings in your local area you will see what is being approved.

My own flat conversion project took 8 weeks from application to approval and involved the local planning officer coming to site and writing a report that goes before the planning 'gods' at the council.

Overall an easy if time consuming process but you need to have a meeting with them to see if what you intend is acceptable to their guidelines before you actually make the application.

It's a hard one this. I wouldn't want to put anybody off having a go and I've seen quite a few projects approved and built with minimal professional input. However, it has to be said, I've probably seen more disasters than good ones. If you get through without hitting problems it will be a miracle - it's really a question of which ones you hit and which you somehow avoid.

Only other thing I would say is it depends on how you value your time. If you've got all the time in the world then you might be ok. If time is money then you will definitely save by spending some dosh on input from those who know.

Planning takes 8 weeks from registration. How long it will take you to come up with a workable design and satisfy all the planning criteria is anybodys guess. Biggest problem is getting scales and dimensions wrong which might mean you end up with an approval but of something that can't be built or is just crap in real life. You'll invariably end up changing things to fit and that's where people run into problems with planners and enforcement action.

The lesson here is that the design and build of a new house must be joined up - make sure you can build what is approved and make sure what you end up with is a reasonably livable space and not something a 5 year old would draw with crayons.

Sponsored Links
i do apologise for sounding uninformed all the advice i get from here is gong to be invaluable.does it cost anything to send plans for a house to the planning office or is it just architect fees if you go that way?

shocked-1.jpg

You gotta see it to believe it! :rolleyes: :LOL:

This sounds like you should be approaching Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs) as a lot of the people on there have normal day-to-day lives and have no or very little knowledge of the construction industry and process. No offence to you by the way.

does it cost anything to send plans for a house to the planning office or is it just architect fees if you go that way?

Nothing's for free in this world. It all costs and with regards to planning AND Building Regulations, the fee's are normally based upon the number of units (i.e. houses) you provide.

As well as local authority and professional fee's (i.e. architects), for a new house, you'd be looking at many more reports required, which would be required to submit as part of the planning application (e.g. Design and Access Statement, Renewable report, etc...). They may also request contributions in the forms of payment towards local government sectors (e.g. SPA's, local amenities, etc...).

And with it being a new house, one would assume you'd like to take our warranty protection/insurance, which again would be more fee's and the NHBC is one who'd provide this. They base their fee's on the works involved, your previous and financial background, etc...

There's A LOT to it.

My advice is to engage an architect and they should be able to tell you all the above plus more :)

i think before you go to any cost you should find out what sort off land it is
as in farm /green belt/industrial ect

some you will never get planning for so worth finding out first
and if it needs services these can be expensive even if only a few metres away and prohibitive if any distance

No offence mate but :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My 1st question is, how can somebody have the funds in place to buy land + then build a house from scratch BUT not have a comparitively small sum for professional fees? The cost of an architect / technician is what 3-4% of the eventual outlay?

Are there any services on the land? what are the ground conditions? any restrictions? aspect distance issues? access issues? etc etc etc.

Are you capable (if req'd) of compiling ground investigation reports? tree surveys? compiling accurate drawing things to scale? There is a Planning fee applicable + it'll take approx 8 weeks.

To get something built you also need Building Regs Approval, again an appllication fee + subsequent Inspection fees are applicable. Are you capable of detailing you're drawing to the standard of a Bldg Regs application? have you ever heard of the Bldg Regs? can you do structural calcs? can you do SAP calcs?

I hope either you:

A - Have PLENTY of time on your hands + want to go through this out of a 'just cos I want to' type attitiude........or
B - you're taking the p**s.

Anyway wish you luck

i do apologise for sounding uninformed all the advice i get from here is gong to be invaluable.does it cost anything to send plans for a house to the planning office or is it just architect fees if you go that way?

I'll say it again.......look at your local council's website planning area! :rolleyes:

You're obviously internet capable so go do it.

How much did you pay for the land, and how many acres is it? If there's a good chance of you getting planning permission then your local market will have priced that into the value - i.e you paid an order of magnitude more than £10k/acre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back