Land line switch off possible solutions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has just had her phone line "disabled" as part of virgin medias move to remove dependence on the PSTN.

She has an alarm system that uses the phone to call out. Virgin media can provide a backup box with a SIM in it that goes in between the phone line and router but it only lets you dial 999 which isn't really helpful.

I am wondering if:

A) There are any resonable cheapish battery backup devices for the router (There lots of cheap chinese devices on amazon that I rather not have connected to power 24/7)
B) Does the virgin media cabinets have any sort of battery backup anyway?
C) Are there any other line backup devices with maybe a sim slot in them that can take over the line when it goes dead?

I will probably have the same issue myself in a year or two, I am on a normal BT line but haven't heard anything about the switch off yet. I don't know if the openreach cabinets have a battery backup either.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by alarm system? A house alarm or a fall detector type device.

A) You could buy a UPS- uninterruptable power supply

But I don't see how that will help if it requires a MODEM connected to a landline.

Can you provide more info?

I was of the impression they provided a system for the fall detection type alarms for redundancy. Hadn’t really considered whether that would work from the home alarms perspective.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know ….the issues will be with
Speech dialers ….should work if like virgin you plug the phone in via the router ( standard phone ) some BT hubs use some type of IP ( voip) handset ….again as long as there’s power
Most alarms have a gprs type solution….eg pyronix , texecom as long as people are prepared to pay for this service

Sorry I mean burglar alarm. The alarm is a Yale telecommicating alarm.

Sorry I didn't really mention I am thinking about redundancy in a power cut - and if there are any devices to help this

My mum has just had her phone line "disabled" as part of virgin medias move to remove dependence on the PSTN.

She has an alarm system that uses the phone to call out. Virgin media can provide a backup box with a SIM in it that goes in between the phone line and router but it only lets you dial 999 which isn't really helpful.

I am wondering if:

A) There are any resonable cheapish battery backup devices for the router (There lots of cheap chinese devices on amazon that I rather not have connected to power 24/7)
B) Does the virgin media cabinets have any sort of battery backup anyway?
C) Are there any other line backup devices with maybe a sim slot in them that can take over the line when it goes dead?

I will probably have the same issue myself in a year or two, I am on a normal BT line but haven't heard anything about the switch off yet. I don't know if the openreach cabinets have a battery backup either.
What do you mean by 'Disabled'? Ceased or changed over to VOIP? If VOIP have they provided a new Router with a 'phone socket installed and new cordless 'phone to match?

BT will provide, under pressure, a Battery Back-up unit that maintains service. The alarm company should be aware of what to do when the 'phone service moves to VOIP, have they been asked?

AFAIK BT 'optical' street furniture does have 'float' batteries - don't know how long they will maintain service for - should be several hours.

The issue is powe to maintain the connection, but if you believe the recent tv programs on this issue, you should tell your provider to make provision if they Won’t make provision they shouldn’t cut you off.

good luck with that as I suspect it be Wild West.

getting devices to work is less of an issue than keeping them powered and the provider keeping there end powered for the connection

A) There are any resonable cheapish battery backup devices for the router
If the router needs 12V, I wonder if an emergency power module from a LV light might work? They're safe enough to be stuck in ceiling voids, powered 24x7 for years.

Don't know if it's the right sort of 12V though. Ask on the electrickery forum?

Have just found (durrrr....) that if you widen your search from 'battery backup' to 'mini UPS' you find some OK looking products, e.g. the Eaton 3S Mini. Abot £50, and a reputable make

If the router requires 12v then any 12v psu with battery back up can be used ….some routers use 5 or 9 v psu….

Yeah, but I take Joe's point that there are battery backed up PSUs and there are battery backed up PSUs, and you might not be comfortable with the idea of having all of them on 24x7.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back