Land Sale scam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago, I was quite interested in starting a home build project. If I could get a plot at a reasonable price. I then became aware of an organisation that call themselves "The United Plot Owners Association".

The general concept behind this organisation, is that they present plans for whole developments, where the plots themselves are owned by individuals. The idea being that a well thought out plan for an entire development with all of it's infrastructure, would be better received than an individual plot, in the middle of the countryside.

They also choose sites that are close to existing developments to ensure that they maximise the chances of acceptance. Considering the policies being pushed by Prestcot, it all sounded quite feasible. I decided that the best course of action, would be to hold fire, until I saw some progress on at least one of their sites.

Now here's the crunch. I have now been popping onto their website fairly regularly to see if they ever make any progress on ANY of their sites. One that took my interest in July of last year was their site at Burpham Court in Surrey. At that time their website claimed "an application will be submitted in 2004". As Christmas came and went, I kept looking for an update to the page. Keenly interested to see if the application was accepted, or if not, what issues they needed to address to get the plans through.

Finally in February of this year, I noticed that the "2004" had been edited on their website to read "2005". Since 2005 is now getting close to it's end, I had another look and, surprise surprise, No change. I wonder how long it will take them to edit it to 2006.

I can't help but feel sorry for all the mugs that have bought plots on these sites. Since they give absolutely no information on the trials and tribulations they've had in their preparation of the plans for themselves, I can only assume the whole thing is just a con.

Another thing that smacks as iffy, is the fact that they charge the plot owners for membership on an annual basis. Therefore, the longer they take to get an application approved, the more money they get. This obviously creates a situation of conflicting interest. Once they get planning permission, they stop receiving membership fees. While their continued failure to take any action is rewarded with more membership fees.

In case you're interested, this is the page that I have been following for the last two years. Perhaps we could have a sweepstake on when the 2005 gets edited to read 2006. It is only one of over hundred sties on their books, so there is big money being made here.

Ironically, their website doesn't seem to have had a great deal of time (or money) spent on it. I even sent them an Email early this year advising them of various issues that it had (such as links that don't work etc..). In this message I gave them the exact details of which lines of which files needed to be edited, and what changes to make. Since they haven't even fixed these minor problems, I can only assume that they don't have anyone dedicated to looking after the website. Hardly inspires confidence eh?

Sponsored Links
I was approached very recently by a company called Rubicon which does the same thing. I told them they could send me a brochure, but then they phoned back the next week and they said " bad news, I'm afraid, the plots near Cambridge have all gone." "Doesn't bother me" I said, "I wasn't planning on buying one," whereby I started to get the hard sell until I put the phone down.

Its a scam ...... they are not legit as a quick trace through companies house has them NOT REGD...

and another quick snoop finds the mailing address for this LTD company is a "letter forwarding service"....totally dodgy

I saw something on a similar thing a few months back--they had taken punters money and even started building but it all came to a head when the builders walked off through non payment and then it was found they never even had planning permission---meanwhile a few people are supposed to be sunning theirselves somewhere but nobody knows their telephone number, and a few more people shredding loads of tears elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Surrey Chambers of Commerce Regional Office is at No. 32 GU1 2AB
As is UPA LAND SALES LIMITED, Listed at companies house
Probably irrelevant but at http://www.unitedplotowners.net/about.html
United Plotowners Associates Limited
Who state ..
UPA Ltd are not affilliated to any other land sales company, nor do we endorse services which claim to guarantee planning permission.
This site appears to be defunct.

BUT ILS say
ILS gives no guarantee that Planning Permission for anything whatsoever will be achieved within any time span. However, if the land is purchased with the contracted promise that attempts will be made to obtain Planning Permission, this will be the contracted responsibility of the UPA, the sister company of ILS.
:eek:

Freddie
Its like the EU Notification scam ...
Conmen send you faxes regarding an obscure tech thing like , "flex tile mastic f2684(whatever the number ,can't remember lol but you get my drift ) cannot be used in bathrooms with underfloor heating "

you are sent this an many other bits of info...
you then get a bill for around £295 ... cheeky Gets

btw this info is free ...
that is published in PHE mag for free each month ..
If you reply to tell them to go to hell/etc ...they have you ...
You then get a bill for this correspondance (sp?)...
it was also highlighted in "The Builder" free mag about this con ...

just ignore them , an report them to icctis(sp?) telephone watchdog who fine them

but they operate because they have a legit correspondance with a firm an bill them , I have heard some firms just pay up to stop the constant hassle , LOL
can't believe some firms are so gullible ...

Back