To MOD the mad deleter of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Give your warnings if you want to but what's the point in deleting posts? Questions on prices usually get sensible , useful answers.

This is in response to this posting:
markeymark

United Kingdom
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:27 pm Post Subject: price advice required please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOD

see item 9

Back to top Alert Moderators

Agile

United Kingdom
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:50 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod, I wonder why you apparently enjoy removing these postings? As you are unpaid there is no requirement for you to remove it but you choose to do so.

I appreciate that the site Owner has listed a "rule/guidance" not to ask for prices. Since the Owner makes money from adverts on the site I think that this is rather shortsighted however since he is the Owner he onviously can do so if he chooses. None of the other similar forums have this rule and many have no "mods" either waiting to delete or edit postings and in some cases upset the people who have posted there.

Mark, if after reading the limitations of asking about prices, you still want to ask about prices then

Tony

Back to top Alert Moderators

markeymark

United Kingdom
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:51 pm Post Subject:

ok sorry folks, never read the rules

Sponsored Links
thanx a lot for that reply chrisr, i aint been around on this board a long time, but was only looking for guidance, not for someone to do the job for me, but if that is a crime then i do apologise to all members on here

maybe the moderator could have had the decency to PM me to alert me to this since he knows im a newbie, nevermind im still no further down the line

I see this logic:

The owner of this site makes money from advertisers.
The advertisers think there will be a lot of people looking at their adverts.
The advertisers think they may make money from some of those people.
People visit this site to get answers to questions, and some are just nosey.
Answers to questions are given by people who DON'T make money.
I am one of those people.
I, at least, don't mind people asking price related questions.
This was hammered by breezer long ago, and is now a "rule".
Since most questions here are repeats at the level of "how do I bleed my radiator?", how much less interesting is "what would I have to pay for a ........?"

So here's another post to feed back to the owner that yet someone else doesn't care if someone asks the price of something, the owner is after all making money because I'm here.

markeymark - ask you question again.
MOD - we are revolting ;)

Sponsored Links
I don't mind asking prices

It's impossible to quote without doing a site survey and also depends on the area of the country you are in. get several quotes, take one of the middle ones you feel happy with.

The stock answer quote ad infinitum.

What adverts? I`ve just got a link to the forums on Favourites...am I missing something because I am computer illiterate :oops:

I too can't see what the problem is regarding guidance pricing for jobs.
It will give users a rough idea of what you can expect to pay for a plumber to fit a tap or a shower etc.
Obviously it would not be taken as a contract and binding. :D

Maybe the site owner can have a rethink but I do know from experience that some suggestions are ignored without even a reply :rolleyes:

MOD

i suggest you all read this first

9) Please do not ask:

"How much is...."
"What / how much will it cost ......"
"How much will i get for .. "
"....ball park figure"

etc etc

Why?

This is a U.K. based DIY forum, it also depends on

Where YOU are.
Access to the job.
How "easy" it will be.
Labour rate in your part of the country / world.
Any thing else involved in the job.
Cost of materials.

May I suggest:

Try your "yellow pages" / favorite search engine.
Ask for referrals for some one local to you.
ALWAYS get several quotes.
Ask to see examples of previous work.

Its nothing personal, its just each job is different

any such post will be locked or removed
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and as i have said before

i dont make the rules

take it up with admin

as a mod on att[swearword here sorry ;) ]i appreciate the frustration and the good job done by them ;)

but i also know how off putting it can be your new to the net and pppooowwww the rules thrown in your face now the only people who are going to gain from it are the one or two newbies reading that thread at the time

personaly i would rather give help and avoid the small print

perhaps waiting for a few hours and if no one has answerd then quote the rules with an attached explenation"costs variey from area to area and an answer may not be forthcomming ect ect" helping to keep it looking freindly

again not a critisism just a suggestion :D

Well said Big-all.

I thought I was the only one who wants the Owner to reconsider his prices rule. Its not in his business interests and all this Mod activity here makes this web site unattractive to all. Any mod action should be fair, polite and discrete and primarily to remove abusive postings.

The Mod here acts like a Traffic Warden, waiting out of sight, to pounce on you if he can find even the slightest thing wrong in his fine print.

My posting repeated above was chopped off short by the mod before locking it and without reference to me. I cannot remove it and it now looks stupid.

I suggested to Mark that, bearing in mind the limitations of suggesting prices, he could ask at plumbing pages or screwfix forums where the site owners are happy to have any polite questions asked.

Tony

MOD

moved as nothing to do with plumbing

Well done to the mods for so efficiently policing the rules, but in this case, can it be suggested to the owner that this 'rule' may removed without anarchy breaking out, or perhaps it could be put to a vote.
I'd better hide now in case breezer reads this :)

The reason questions regarding pricing are not encouraged are nothing to do with advertising, it's to do with the fact that in most cases it is impossible to accurately quote 'remotely' due to regional variations in pricing and the different aspects/circumstances related to a job that are not described (or describable) in the question which therefore make any answers incomparable to any real world quotes. In any case I would class this as a guideline rather than a rule, which is intended to help and not mislead members.
:)

I agree that price requests should be allowed, it can be interesting to see how prices vary and what people percieve as cheap or expensive.

Thank you for coming here to reply.

We all know that any suggestions on prices are only approximate for the reasons listed in your rules section. It is nevertheless a very interesting topic for many DIYers either so they can see how much they are saving or to weigh up if its worth having a go themselves. No other site bans price questions.

You correctly say "In any case I would class this as a guideline rather than a rule, which is intended to help and not mislead members".

The problem is your mods imagine they are traffic wardens and respond by clamping ( locking ) the post or having it towed away ( deleted ). Any sniff of a price question and they jump out and pounce!

Its not good for your business to let your Mods behave like this. As you know I used to give free serious professional advice here but now largely boycott your site because of the unprecedented disturbances with my posts.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot said:
The reason questions regarding pricing are not encouraged

There's a difference between discouraging and deleting!

Sponsored Links
Back