Landing requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a bedroom built above garage. I have created the opening to go from the 1/4 landing into the new room. There is a single step up, and then the next step is the floor level of the new room. The door will open into the room and away from the stairs and 1/4 landing. On the plans (crap as they are) a new stud wall landing area is show..... see red circle on attached image. Problem is, it creates unusable space in the room, plus the ceiling in the room is vaulted and the stud wall will have to go all the way to the ceiling.

Is there actually a requirement to have this? Would it be ok to have the door opening set back near the step? Its not like the door opens directly onto a flight of stairs - it opens onto a 1/4 landing.

Basically, I want to get rid of the stud walls and put the door directly into the room.

20220520_060449.jpg

Sponsored Links
As a minimum, the landing needs to be as long and wide as the stair width, and is required at the top of those steps.

The two risers up can be regarded as a separate flight between the quarter landing and the new floor. The difference in level will be less than 600mm, so I would argue that it would be OK to put the door in line with the top rise.
It would be safer if it was hinged on the opposite side to that shown on the plan.
Put a dummy newel post on the hinge-side to prevent users stepping down further than the 1/4 landing.
If the inspector doesn't like it, offer to put a grab rail in.
AD K is only guidance - the law is that the staircase shall be safe and there are various ways of achieving safety.
Building a lobby into the new bedroom always looks naff and effectively splits the room.

Sponsored Links
These are photos of the opening. I was hoping to have the door closer to the 1/4 landing rather than creating a daft square landing into the room.
20220520_173236.jpg

Attachments

• 20220520_173259.jpg
    20220520_173259.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back