Landlord electrical safety

IF some appliances are considered part of an EICR, where on the certificates is one supposed to record the results other than the cursory inspections in Item 9.0, and

the requirements of 651.2 regarding dismantling which the inspector might not be competent to do (gas boilers e.g.)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what else you are asking as I think I've already answered you question.

Yes all of the mentioned hard wired or screwed in devices I believe should be classed as fixed.

I know that some point blank class plugged in as portable, on that basis if we use a very large socket and plug between meter and CU the whole property would be classed as portable, which IMO is not the case so I don't think it can be the only qualification.
Was it hard wired or plugged in?
Both, many parts plugged in, but the 300 amp supply was hard wired to a portable generator.

That's very good advice. When I (or, much more often, family member) commission 'inspections' we always make it very clear up-front that if the inspection suggests that anything more than trivial remedial work is required then (a) we will get another 'second opinion' inspection undertaken and (b) as a matter principle, would never look to the person who performed the inspection to undertake any remedial work.

Interestingly, and somewhat worryingly, a significant proportion of potential 'inspectors' turn down the work once they have been told that!

Kind Regards, John

There are 2 parties in each inspection - client and inspector. The transaction only works when both parties trust each other. If the client makes it clear there is no trust, I walk away. Not because he is getting in the way of my plan to rip him off, but becaue there is no trust. I would not be surprised if the insepctors youn referred to took a similar view.

There are dishonest people in all walks of life, but there also people who are out of their depth.

Sponsored Links
There are 2 parties in each inspection - client and inspector. The transaction only works when both parties trust each other. If the client makes it clear there is no trust, I walk away. Not because he is getting in the way of my plan to rip him off, but becaue there is no trust. I would not be surprised if the insepctors youn referred to took a similar view.
Hi, good to see you. I hope that you and yours are well.

You may be right. However, you may also have missed my subsequent clarification about 'the other way around', and the fact that I had been talking about our approach in the early days when we were having to commission PIRs/EICRS from essentially 'unknown' electricians.

One cannot really have any 'trust' in the work or behaviour of an electrician of whom one has no experience (and 'recommendations' are of limited value), so one always starts off from a position of relative uncertainty. In the case of 'actual work', with an essentially 'unknown' electrician one can start by giving them small jobs, and then build up, so that one develops knowledge of their competence and 'behaviour' and, where appropriate, mutual trust then develops. There's not really any practical equivalent to that with EICRs, and it's a bit of a pain to have a whole one done and find that one is not happy with it and/or the individual concerned.

However, as I subsequently said, a good few years into the game we have now accumulated a goodly collection of excellent electricians whose work (and everything else) we totally trust (having 'dropped' a good few, whom we wouldn't trust to do anything, very early!) so, these days, it is them to whom we usually turn for EICRs (which we know will be 'sensible') and, yes, we then get them to do the remedial work.

Whenever possible, I initially have a quick look at an installation, and in a significant proportion of cases it's fairly clear that the only (and/or most sensible) course would be a complete re-wire. In such cases, I do not usually bother with an EICR, but will ask one of our 'trusted' electricians to also 'have a quick look' (which they will usually do without charge) to see if they agree with me.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back