Landlord PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my first post and was looking for some info on landlord owned properties.

I own a student house and rent to 4 of them, I have been advised via letter from the council that it is a legal requirement to have the 'fixed installation, tested and inspected at intervals not exceeding 5 years'. Has anybody heard of this new 'legal requirement'.

I thought it was only a recommendation, from trawling through previous DIYnot threads and your responses?

Sponsored Links
IIRC, its a recommendation for homeowners, but a legal requirement for landlords. And its also nothing new, AFAIK.

Here's an extract from an article on Letting

Regulations

There is no statutory obligation on landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.

Compliance

We would strongly recommend that any Landlord, regardless of whether they see themselves as running a business or not, should make absolutely sure they are complying with these regulations to ensure that all electrical equipment supplied is safe.In order to do this we recommend:·

Annual visual inspections by the landlord or agent - recording this on a safety checklist,

·Inspections on tenant change-overs, recording electrical equipment, its condition and fuses fitted - see PAT Testing

·Periodic inspections of electrical equipment by a qualified electrician.

·5 yearly inspections by a qualified electrician to ensure safety and that the electrical system complies with current electrical regulations.

·Keep all records of these inspections.

Due Diligence

In the event of a tenant complaint or an incident the defence of "due diligence" may be accepted where it can be shown that the landlord or agent took all reasonable steps to avoid committing an offence - you will need documentary evidence of this. A private owner letting a single dwelling (not in the course of business) may have a defence, whereas an agent acting on his behalf will not. However, an agent merely introducing a tenant and not becoming involved in the inventory or management of the tenancy my well be exempt from liability.
© LandlordZONE 2006

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back