Is a landlords cert a full PIR ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't remember the exact wording from Guidance note 3 but roughly a tenanted property should be PIRd every 5 years (from memory) but a less detailed inspection should be done every year.

So to all the sparks out there - if asked to do a Landlord cert every 12 months would you do a full PIR or a short Inspection report ?

I am a little unsure of the legal requirements/guidance on this in comparison to what is actually happening our there.

Sponsored Links
Hi there

There's no such thing as a Landlords Cert for electrics (although the term is used freely!). PIR shoud be done for rental purposes and then redone either at the period stated by the sparks who did the original PIR or at change of occupier - which ever is the sooner.

Hope this helps

SB

I know your right Sparky. But Note 3 also states that "routine checks" must also be made and it is recommended they be done every 12 months.

I am trying to get it clear in my head who does these checks. I know that it doesn't need to be done by a spark by in reality I doubt that a letting agent would be happy about signing off an electrical cert, no matter how detailed.

Or am I wrong ?

If there are no previous records, then a full PIR is really the only option.
If a recent PIR exists (or EIC for the whole installation) , then a reduced number of tests/inspections could be done, provided the client agrees.

Some organisations produce 'visual inspection reports' which are just that - a quick look to see if anything is broken.

Sponsored Links
Slightly off topic but in the general theme............

Went to view a house last week (with a view to buying) and was being shown round by the estate agent (he didnt know i was a sparky). Questioned him about the electrics in the house, i.e are they safe, up to standards. He told me that a sparks had checked them over and they were all up to current standards and wouldnt need any work in the years to come.

Had a quick peek and saw an old 3036 board, no rcd's anywhere, no bonding to water/gas, and a missing cover over one of the fuseways leaving a very accessible live part! Should have seen his face when i told him what i did for a living! he gave up on a sale there and then!

No doubt he'l be telling the same story should a young couple with a child come looking at the house. Felt like knocking his lying teeth out!

Slightly off topic but in the general theme............

Went to view a house last week (with a view to buying) and was being shown round by the estate agent (he didnt know i was a sparky). Questioned him about the electrics in the house, i.e are they safe, up to standards. He told me that a sparks had checked them over and they were all up to current standards and wouldnt need any work in the years to come.

Had a quick peek and saw an old 3036 board, no rcd's anywhere, no bonding to water/gas, and a missing cover over one of the fuseways leaving a very accessible live part! Should have seen his face when i told him what i did for a living! he gave up on a sale there and then!

No doubt he'l be telling the same story should a young couple with a child come looking at the house. Felt like knocking his lying teeth out!

This is exactly why everyone should get a full PIR as standard when buying a house. Very few houses will pass without at least minor work and some will highlight very nasty surprises.

After reading up abit more it appears a landlords cert may be the 12monthly check that an agent/landlord can make themselves. This check is recommended by Guidance note 3 and ESC but is only a quick walk through in reality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back