Landlords slot meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend wants to rent his house out by dividing it into three different 'studios', and wants each tenant to pay for their power. I assume coin operated slot meters are still the best way to do this, if so, which are the best 'tamper free' brands to buy?

He also wants to put sensors to the common areas so they don't leave lights on etc,,, any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You can get card meters instead of coin meters... but you do need to buy a programming card and the credit cards!!

If I remember the programming card is just under £15 and the credit cards are about £25 for 100 x £5

My daughters flat is two years old and has common parts lights on timers. I just push each switch as I pass it.

Sponsored Links
You can get card meters instead of coin meters... but you do need to buy a programming card and the credit cards!!

If I remember the programming card is just under £15 and the credit cards are about £25 for 100 x £5

Thanks for the info,,, I guess for three units perhaps not worth the investment, but if you have a link to a supplier I would check it out.

Cheers

He also wants to put sensors to the common areas so they don't leave lights on etc,,, any other suggestions?
Often push pneumatic switches are used. But you need to consider health and safety and the PIR route may be better option.

I'm not sure if the latest design of pneumatic switches are better, but tenants sometimes wedge them 'on' with matchsticks and the like, so looking for something they can't tamper with, which is why I'm leaning towards sensors. Also no pull cord in the bathroom which is a bonus.

Health a safety is a big factor and will need to keep within their guidlines.

My daughters flat is two years old and has common parts lights on timers. I just push each switch as I pass it.

Do you know if this the 'plunger' type pneumatic switch which can be wedged in the 'on' position, or does it trigger a remote timer?

Most push button switches are pneumatic and as stated can be wedged on.
They are usually not linked to a timer as they themselves are the timers but operate in parallel so that as the last timer times out the lights go out.

Those prepayment meters are great as there isn't a box of cash hanging on the wall just waiting to be ripped off by some thieving scally. If you do a google search there are loads of suppliers, and most if not all wholesalers will either have them in stock or are able to get them in within a couple of days..

If I remember the last lot I bought (x3), inc 100 of £5 cards and a programmer card were under £100.

All you have to do is make sure that you are on a long term fixed rate and have some way of selling the cards to the tennants..

Just remember to factor in the cost of the cards with the rate you set for the meters..

why not just go for 16w low energy bulbs in communial areas
assuming you have say 5 on for 12hrs a day your on 80w per hr so around 10p a day

if you budget cant cope with £3 a month fit timers but give them a good 10 mins then they wont worry about wedging on

if you have say 5 timers at say £20 that £100 so they would take around 3 years to pay back the costs thats without instilatation costs

just whack £20 a month on as a service charge for lecky..

You'll get a smack in the gob from OFGEM if you are caught doing that.

You are only allowed to charge what you paid for electricity. Standing charges are to be split over tenants' consumptions.

Timers around £12. @ B&Q. One customer has several blocks of flats and in one in particular they were leaving them on 24/7 till fitted timers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back