landscape fabric / weed suppressant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
my front garden has always had landscape fabric on it, and I've always topped it off with bark every two years however the weeds always end up coming back as the bark rots down. I am contemplating putting another layer of fabric over the top and then decorative stones i.e cotswold chippings.

Q,
a) what's the best way of joining the fabric?
b) will decorative stones reduce the chance of weeds rooting through seeds being carried in the air.

thanks

Pat

Sponsored Links
1. Fabric can be joined by using "staples" of thick wire, bent over to make a V shape, pushed into the ground.

2. Any fabric, no matter what the design, will get some weeds on its surface. The idea is that they are easy to pull out if you get to 'em before they get too much of a hold. Think about it - you are providing a textured, moist surface with plenty of nutrients and bits of soil washed and blown in - ideal growing conditions for a young seed. In other words, fabric helps, but it it doesn't mean you'll never have to weed again.

i have got 6 tonnes of gravel in ,y garden, the weight of it means you dont need to fix the underlay.

i do suggest you overlay your underlay

reason is you get no ground for anything to grow in.

and as has been said weeds will grow in thin air (if they could) i get the odd weed in my gravel, but yes dead easy to see and pull out

you can use landscaping pegs, although unless you buy them in bulk they can be expensive (found a good supplier wabbitpoo if you need the details!)

lap the fabric by at least 300mm at all joints. Make sure when you lay the stones on it you go in the direction of the lap, and not against it otherwise the stones will bring the fabric up and youll end up with visible fabric. Also use a decent one such as plantex

Sponsored Links
done a google search and didn't find many suppliers of plantex, there is one, green-tech that want £72 + £15 p&p for a 2m by 50m roll,

a) are there different grades of plantex?
b) do you know of anywhere neer to Surrey where I can collect
c) will this also be ok under my decking or will it be overkill?

regards

Pat

It doesn't make much difference which you go for, so long as you use it right. Get down to B&Q (or wherever) as they sell 'em

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back