Lanlord contract gone pearshaped.

My kind of gal, can i wear my fishnets aswell? ;)

I dont know what to suggest as regards the landlord

Sponsored Links
Bazdaa said:
I meant the tenants, not you.

Not sure what you found offensive about my 2nd paragraph. But what I meant was that an invoice says pay me! and a contract is a bit extensive!

Apologise Bazdaa....I misunderstood the comment.
However, this guy is clearly a rogue and no tenant should be subjected to the landlord tampering with electrics and gas appliances anyway. So I stand by what I said. I have some great landlords on contract and I have been there when the have to pull the students inline etc....but the relationship between all is fair etc.

I know we will never rid the rogues completely but making it harder for them to operate in such a fashion can only be a good thing.

Freddie said:

I dont know what to suggest as regards the landlord other than douse him in petrol and threaten to strike a match---i think he knows the ropes and has done this before

May I suggest you use the fresh pair in your diamond encrusted (cubic zircona - I wont tell) clutchbag. And those earrings you wore to your last coming out party would look a dream too. And no.....we all say your bum does not look big in it...GO GIRL!!!!! :LOL:

Idle Banter makes a change.

Sponsored Links
Tell you what though. I have learnt something from this.

I have been waiting for a referred builder who came to my property to send through a quote. He came in mid December and I'm still waiting! I have chased him, and he said that he was a bit busy and is still on the case.

After reading this. I'm wondering if he is stalling/does not want the job, because I'm a landlord! As he was asking me questions about the status of the property, do I live here, is it rented ect. Anyway thats him blown off my books. I'll contact the builder I normally use and a roofer that I have been waiting to use on Monday. I only went for this guy, as he was a professional recommendation!

Recessions are not nice, not nice at all. But at least it reminds people, who the customer is. How the hell can someone run around saying all landlords will rip you off (not you wife).

Bazdaa said:
Tell you what though. I have learnt something from this.

I have been waiting for a referred builder who came to my property to send through a quote. He came in mid December and I'm still waiting! I have chased him, and he said that he was a bit busy and is still on the case.

After reading this. I'm wondering if he is stalling/does not want the job, because I'm a landlord! As he was asking me questions about the status of the property, do I live here, is it rented ect. Anyway thats him blown off my books. I'll contact the builder I normally use and a roofer that I have been waiting to use on Monday. I only went for this guy, as he was a professional recommendation!

Recessions are not nice, not nice at all. But at least it reminds people, who the customer is. How the hell can someone run around saying all landlords will rip you off (not you wife).

Bazdaa....are you registered with a landlord association?
Would you consider it?
I know some associations have their own listings of tradesmen advertising with them. However, the table can turn....so check if he's part of a body too....ie Fairtrades / Mastercrafts man. Even those in the paper that are relatively cheap these days are part of a body. ;)

Bazdaa said:
No and no. I personally cannot see the benefits.

Not right now....but the way the relations are between the 2 sectors it would provide reassurance to the tradesman and vice versa.

Associations are used to boost credibility. Non quoting is a known tactic if the grapevine has spoken locally. But with more and more support services being made available to the tradesman, they will become choosy between opting to quote for a job where the landlord is part of an association, than one that isnt. Basically If the tradesman is part of an association.....why shouldnt you. Tradesmen appreciate that there are rogue tradesmen too and want to alleviate being labelled under that bracket. The support network is good too.

Id be concerned if I was a landlord & my request for quotes were not happening....they do say get 3 quotes so try 2 others and see if they bother....if they dont....

Your choice to stick with who you know....but putting your eggs in the same basket can leave you vunerable in itself....by that I mean, competiveness will not exist and when you could of had a better deal, you find yourself restricted instead and thats not what should happen to you either.

Lets just say a landlord was on the list. Theirs an issue with the builder. His association can be contacted by you to resolve the issue. Any communication will be logged and therefore a history around your tradesman is built. And vice versa. Prob with landlord...call the association they assist, a history is logged.

Softus said:
david and not julie said:
IT IS ESSENTIAL your solicitor does this and not you, the court will recognise and respect his view over yours. The landlord could throw your letter in the bin and deny all knowledge, whereas a court would believe your solicitor.
Do you realise that a court is duty bound to assume that the sender of a letter is telling the truth, unless there is evidence or an indication to the contrary? What grounds do you have for believing what you're writing here, let alone publishing it?

Ok, softus, without legal qualifications. You have commented and critised my advice, so I will offer "The Wife" a scenario.

I am a qualified and insured company who was a contracted do to a job and started work, I was a tad upset because the unqualified customer was making changes to my work, in particular the gas pipes, he had also altered the electrical wiring in such a way I considered it was dangerous and in contravention of current regulations.

I was also in dispute with the customer about other issues.

I decided to walk from the job, but decided not tell the relevant authorities, even though I knew there was danger to life.

A couple of days later the building had a serious fire due to unqualified interference with gas appliances, unfortunately the firemen were reluctant to go in the building because one of them got a shock and died at the scene. It was later proven this was caused by faulty wiring. The building ended up being demolished due to the extensive structural damage

OK so far? we are now going back to a time 3 or 4 days previous when I asked the opinion of others on a Diy forum.

One poster was called D&J or is that David or is that Julie? or maybe just David and a little bit of Julie or even Julie on her own(even though she is no longer a member) anyway regardless of that. He/her/they/them said be very careful and see a solicitor who can document your concerns regarding these dangers. The solicitor notifies the landlord using an official solicitors letterhead.

The other poster is called softus and says Nah you don't need to do that this is the law blah blah blah, Save the cost, write to the customer yourself etc, I know best you don't really need a solicitor.

The following £1M damages claim, plus the ongoing costs of keeping his family, is heard in court. The crux of the case is, could this death have been prevented? The only answer is well yes it could, if your concerns had reported to HSE, unfortunately what makes it worse is the clerk of the court has just bought a new house, reads this site and recognises this case. You can't deny you knew there was a danger anymore because you told us and it is documented on this site.
So now "The Wife" its make your mind up time. Do you take the advice, or opinion, of someone who is trying to help you and is offering 20 years + experience of working for themselves or do you take the advice of an unqualified barrackroom lawyer?

Do yourself a favour (The wife) consult a lawyer on Monday.

The Wife, I apologise, but you have stumbled into grudges which have nothing to do with you and unfortunately discredit this site, which is a shame.

david said:
Softus said:
david and not julie said:
IT IS ESSENTIAL your solicitor does this and not you, the court will recognise and respect his view over yours. The landlord could throw your letter in the bin and deny all knowledge, whereas a court would believe your solicitor.
Do you realise that a court is duty bound to assume that the sender of a letter is telling the truth, unless there is evidence or an indication to the contrary? What grounds do you have for believing what you're writing here, let alone publishing it?

Ok, softus, without legal qualifications. You have commented and critised my advice...
What I did, above, was make a statement, that you have not contradicted, and ask you a question, that you have not yet answered. You may assume that I have no legal qualifications, but your manner of doing so is a woefully inadequate attempt to get me to reveal my qualifications - I don't rise to that kind of bait.

david said:
OK so far? we are now going back to a time 3 or 4 days previous when I asked the opinion of others on a Diy forum.

One poster was called D&J or is that David or is that Julie? or maybe just David and a little bit of Julie or even Julie on her own(even though she is no longer a member) anyway regardless of that. He/her/they/them said be very careful and see a solicitor who can document your concerns regarding these dangers. The solicitor notifies the landlord using an official solicitors letterhead.
No, frankly, I'm lost, and I have no problem admitting it. You seem to be referring to David in the third person, but I thought that you were David. I'm genuinely confused about who "you" is in the context of the above paragraph.

david said:
The other poster is called softus and says Nah you don't need to do that this is the law blah blah blah, Save the cost, write to the customer yourself etc, I know best you don't really need a solicitor.
I have not told TheWife what she doesn't need to do, nor have I used the words "bla bla bla", nor have I said that I know best, nor that she doesn't need a solicitor - on the contrary:

I never said that you were wrong to advise seeking legal representation. I sincerely hope that The Wife does that, because she'll then discover that you were stating opinion, not facts.
It's the easiest thing in the world to say "go and see a solicitor", and the next easiest thing is to attempt to predict the outcome of the legal battle. Where my approach differs from yours is to state facts, gleaned from first-hand experience and from reading statutes and law reports, and to refrain from giving my opinion, except where I explicitly say "in my opinion".

It bemuses me that you, amongst others, get so het up when I ask you to state the basis of your advice, which I frequently do when, in my opinion, I think the advice has no factual basis. If your advice is so valuable, then what exactly is the problem in justifying it?

david and julie said:
So now "The Wife" its make your mind up time. Do you take the advice, or opinion, of someone who is trying to help you and is offering 20 years + experience of working for themselves or do you take the advice of an unqualified barrackroom lawyer?
You're the only person who is calling me a lawyer; why you do that is unknown. You have no idea whether or not my business experience exceeds yours. The forum is here for us all to air our opinions, and I believe my statements bear up to any scrutiny that challenges both their coherence and their common sense.

david and julie said:
The Wife, I apologise, but you have stumbled into grudges which have nothing to do with you and unfortunately discredit this site, which is a shame.
Interestingly, TheWife saw fit to thank me for what she felt was reassuring news; a reassurance that she apparently had not felt when reading your earlier posts. It's pretty plain that you're the person bearing the grudge, and any casual observer will know that this isn't the first time you've got worked up and issued quite personal comments, apparently arising from a quite simple form of envy.

Freddie said:
TheWife said:
Freddie said:
TheWife said:
What would be more amusing is if you did it Freddie :LOL:

I'll give you one if you want, hubby can watch but i aint signing nothing , then we will all go round and kick the sh#t out of the w#nker

:oops: LOL. Dont forget your best frock and your Steel-Capped Stillettos.

I dont know what to suggest as regards the landlord other than douse him in petrol and threaten to strike a match---i think he knows the ropes and has done this before
You don't waste any time do you, Julie has only just left the forum! ;)

TheWife said:
Associations are used to boost credibility. Non quoting is a known tactic if the grapevine has spoken locally.
Just for the record. I don't believe this builder heard my name on the grapevine. As if he did, he would know I'm not a messer. But thats his choice I guess.

Id be concerned if I was a landlord & my request for quotes were not happening....they do say get 3 quotes so try 2 others and see if they bother....if they dont....
1 and only quote. As I said I'll go back to using my crew, that I have been using for years.

Your choice to stick with who you know....but putting your eggs in the same basket can leave you vunerable in itself....by that I mean, competiveness will not exist and when you could of had a better deal, you find yourself restricted instead and thats not what should happen to you either.
Your presuming that they wont give me a fair and reasonable price. I also know where to find them when needed. Cant say that about the builder however.

I work on word of mouth (mostly from trusted sources). Associations, hhmm if it works for you then fine. I've got the work, if someone wants it then fine if not fine. We seem to be lost in this country, who the actual customer is!

The law as it stands is the lasts contract signed wins it. however, which one was signed last if they were both on the same day. No time, just date stamped.

Sponsored Links
Back