Lanlord contract gone pearshaped.

TheWife said:
Yes....have 5 other longterm landlord/residential contracts. 1 pretigious client, and a whole bunch of domestic clients.

I believ I have a duty of care to notify the HSE...as I very concerned and feel that the GAS / ELECTRICS should be inspected. May be wish to save as my last hand.

God, it can be such a cut throat business.

He really gives landlords a bad name. And I think it wont stop there......the same thing is going to happen to someone else too.

I would be very careful on this one,unless that is you did it straightaway. It could be seen (in court) that you knew your obligations, but failed to see them through. This could go against you if someone had been subsequently injured by a fault you were keeping back. This landlord could say he had employed you to fix any dangerous faults.

This guy must be a cowboy landlord, I would ask in the local builders/plumbers merchants(of the record) if they know of any other tradesmen who have had problems. If he does have "form" so to speak, it may well make him drop the issues or at least help your case.

Consider getting your solicitor to write and highlight the dangerous issues you mention, they are then documented and may safeguard you against any bogus claims by the landlords friends.

Sponsored Links
Whats upsetting im supposed to provide a support service for tradesmen but how can I do that if I cant put this straight.

Landlord accountability is pretty atrocious. Short of finding all the landlord associations and checking if he is on their list! I doubt he is anyway.

I going to write a letter to him to detail all his tampering, and note that even if we followed his contract spec...it would be pointless with the amount of tampering he was doing.

THE AMAZING THING WAS.....HE EVEN ASKED WHAT TYPE OF PAINT WE WERE USING...ie.... emulsion / masonry...and this is a guy messing with boilers/electrics.

On my first visit - he asked me what type of roller to use for GLOSS!!!!!

Thats it.....TERMINATED! HIM OR THE CONTRACT? LOL.

Just write the letter based on the feed back from the legal guy and walk away so not to feel bitter & twisted!

TheWife said:
Whats upsetting im supposed to provide a support service for tradesmen but how can I do that if I cant put this straight.

Landlord accountability is pretty atrocious. Short of finding all the landlord associations and checking if he is on their list! I doubt he is anyway.

I going to write a letter to him to detail all his tampering, and note that even if we followed his contract spec...it would be pointless with the amount of tampering he was doing.

THE AMAZING THING WAS.....HE EVEN ASKED WHAT TYPE OF PAINT WE WERE USING...ie.... emulsion / masonry...and this is a guy messing with boilers/electrics.

On my first visit - he asked me what type of roller to use for GLOSS!!!!!

Thats it.....TERMINATED! HIM OR THE CONTRACT? LOL.

Just write the letter based on the feed back from the legal guy and walk away so not to feel bitter & twisted!
IT IS ESSENTIAL your solicitor does this and not you, the court will recognise and respect his view over yours. The landlord could throw your letter in the bin and deny all knowledge, whereas a court would believe your solicitor.

Will call the HSE on monday, unless they are open on saturday...thanks for that....CLEAR HEAD & ALL.

Sponsored Links
Right now im going to go have a stiff drink and calm down. :cry:

LOl.. its so easy I have heard from my old Gas fitter friends who have flats an maintenance firms ,

thing is YOU EXPECT A BOSS JOB

as you do it your self
but begrudge a maintenance firm doing it for you ...
which you would never do ...as them FLATS

so easy to get out of a contract ..

Is the guy a =blue chip if not forget him ..HISTORY an you can say you were a advisor for that section of business

you are laurel an hardy,
at the business straight,

face let the land lord sack finish you ,

ALWAYS KEEP FRIENDLY ..

"what do yo mean..OK" said as the chuckle bros is a good one

trust me keep friendly an you NEVER HAD TROUBLE LIKE THIS BEFORE ..

put a pound in the charity box for that . ok

Arrr, thats better, an Amaretto & Coke.

Cheers guys.

When I know more i'll post it here.... :rolleyes:

Moz said:
LOl.. its so easy I have heard from my old Gas fitter friends who have flats an maintenance firms ,

thing is YOU EXPECT A BOSS JOB

as you do it your self
but begrudge a maintenance firm doing it for you ...
which you would never do ...as them FLATS

so easy to get out of a contract ..

Is the guy a =blue chip if not forget him ..HISTORY an you can say you were a advisor for that section of business

you are laurel an hardy,
at the business straight,

face let the land lord sack finish you ,

ALWAYS KEEP FRIENDLY ..

"what do yo mean..OK" said as the chuckle bros is a good one

trust me keep friendly an you NEVER HAD TROUBLE LIKE THIS BEFORE ..

put a pound in the charity box for that . ok

sorry, was struggling understanding your note. But yes, I will keep it friendly with one hand and pay a visit to the solicitor and the HSE with the other hand.

The landlord asked to meet up with me tomorrow to discuss his contract. But I already told him that his contract was not agreed by me and will not be carried out unless a new quote is written to cover the cost. He refused but left a message for me to meet up tomorrow.

I think I should decline at least until ive been to the solicitors/cab and got advise from them.

TheWife said:
Hi my husband is a handyman and has been fleeced by a rogue landlord.
The contract scope keeps growing.....he signed what was though to be a deposit receipt for the client but turns out to be a second contract.

This is a joke right? If not, I definately would not keep that appointment tomorrow. Meet him at your solicitors office and nowhere else.

TheWife said:
Hi my husband is a handyman and has been fleeced by a rogue landlord.
The contract scope keeps growing.....he signed what was though to be a deposit receipt for the client but turns out to be a second contract.
A contract that was entered into without the intention of both parties is not a valid contract - the law does allow people to be tricked in this way, despite what you might believe from the movies.

Simply write to the other party, and explain that you didn't realise what you were signing, and that you consider the [second] contract to be void. Let him attempt to enforce it - if you have acted promptly, courteously and reasonably then he will be unable to do so.

Note that this is a very different case to that of a contract that you knowingly sign, but without having read all the terms properly. In that scenario the contract would be binding.

Did you agree payment terms (even if only verbally). If so, and he hasn't paid, then he's breached the contract and it is null and void.

Thx Softus....the first reassuring news weve had.

Ultimately, I suspect that this guys antics could mean our business winds up.....loss of earnings for a month is going to devastate us and persuing will also be as costly if we lose. But hey, when you look it that way.....were already in the s***t financially, so why not go out with a humdinger of a battle.

The job was £3000. He's paid a £1000 deposit. £500 interim payment and was due to pay another £1500. On top of that he owes us for other completed jobs £150 / £160 which he didnt write any contract for. There was also £500 which he paid £200 deposit leaving £300. So, intotal he's paid £1700 but owes us £2110.00. In his contract the terms were....

This document constitutes an agreement of contract between the customer ********** of ************ and the Building Contractor ********** of ****** for the renovation work to be carried out to the premises of ********* as detailed on sheet 2 of this document.
Both parties have mutually agreed to the terms and conditions as stated below;

1. All work undertaken as per schedule on sheet 2 to be completed to timescale provided by the contractor.

2. Interim or stage payments (if requested and agreed by the contractor and the customer) can only be made after proof of material used and work completed.

3. Final payment of 30% of total contract value will only be made payable at successful completion of the total contract work and to the satisfaction of the customer.

4. Contractor will be held responsible for the cost of any damage to property (other than as specified in the schedule) or injury to third party (excluding the customer) during the period of renovation

was signed and dated by both and had a start date of 5th December and a contract duration of 3 weeks but he asked for other work to be carried out hence other monies owed as they needed to be done at the same time.

Our payment terms were as laid out in the quote.....

Deposit : £1000
Interim : £500

Final : £1500

The other jobs were....

£150 - At completion.£500 - £200 Deposit (Received). Final £300 on completion.£160 - At completion.

Sponsored Links
Back