Lantern battery type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what was the number of them large batteries that were used in roadwork yellow beacons

They had 2 spring contacts

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
With LED "bulbs" and lithium batteries, you can get equal or better light output and battery life from a smaller, lighter, cheaper unit now.

With LED "bulbs" and lithium batteries, you can get equal or better light output and battery life from a smaller, lighter, cheaper unit now.

Yes, for a torch, but they still seem to be used in most roadworks lights, I assume as they're cheap and cheerful.
I've always wondered, do they go round replacing the batteries in them once they're completely flat, or routinely change them whether they need it or not

Don’t they discharge themselves like that?
Only if there are appreciable differences between the 'conditions' of batteries in the various series sets. Series/Parallel combinations of batteries are not uncommon.

One way of avoiding the potential problem (at the cost of the voltage drop in the diode) is to have the 'series sets' paralleled via diodes (one diode per series set) - so that no series set can discharge through any other.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, for a torch, but they still seem to be used in most roadworks lights, I assume as they're cheap and cheerful.

I think more likely because the battery won't fit much else, so not worth stealing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back