laptop not seeing internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It no longer notices the modem cable is there. Another laptop is fine on it though. I've tried rebooting . Suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the network settings, it may have been changed to not connect.
Anyway a bump on your post.

Where would that be exactly?
I don't know of a "not connect".

Using Win 7 & Virgin Cable, by the way.
(Now on a different computer)
I've also disabled all wireless connections in Control Panel, there's no physical switch to do it.
It saying there's no internet lead plugged in.
It's offerring PPPoE so I disabled that too, cos that's for something requiring a username which Virgin says is wrong. (for dialup?)

Could have simply packed up I suppose but seems a coincidence - I just used it wirelessly for a few days. Turned that all off now.

Nertwork adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller "working normally".

Control panel>network & internet>network & sharing centre.
thats where it is on my win7

Sponsored Links
All I see in there are wireless connections, apart from the offer of dialup.

(Need wired because the router's also bust, so not in use.. :rolleyes: )

so you plug a cable into your laptop and the cable modem and you don't get internet?
The laptop should report whether a cable has been plugged in or not.

Ages since I used a modem for internet access so just a couple of thoughts.

Can you see the modem and is it enabled in Device Manager? Go to Control Panel - System and Security - System then Device Manager link. Should show the modem. Right-click for Properties.

I am somewhat surprised that it detects the presence of a connection when the cable is or isn't plugged in. Modems are pretty dumb devices so not sure I would expect it to detect anyway. Yes I would expect it to report a disconnection on an ethernet connection but a modem? Like I said, a long time since I used one.

Ages since I used a modem for internet access so just a couple of thoughts.

Can you see the modem and is it enabled in Device Manager? Go to Control Panel - System and Security - System then Device Manager link. Should show the modem. Right-click for Properties.

I am somewhat surprised that it detects the presence of a connection when the cable is or isn't plugged in. Modems are pretty dumb devices so not sure I would expect it to detect anyway. Yes I would expect it to report a disconnection on an ethernet connection but a modem? Like I said, a long time since I used one.

Err..think you've read it wrong mate. He's talking about the VM cable modem, not and internal pc modem.

Unless i'm reading it wrong entirely, lol.

Yeah it's Virgin's cable modem ;)

so you plug a cable into your laptop and the cable modem and you don't get internet?
The laptop should report whether a cable has been plugged in or not.
Preciso.
I can't help thinking Windows has done something to itself.

Apparently WIndows can "forget" to switch back to cable broadband if there's any wireless network connected, but the fix for that is to turn the wireless ones off. Not this time though. :cry:

It came from PC World so I guess it's a trip back, with a list ready of why it's not everything else they can think of.

Try downloading and installing the drivers for the network device.

Chris, with the wifi turned OFF, when you plug a network cable in does the network icon in the systray activate and show a connection?
Also, does the nic display any lights on it when the cable is plugged in?

If you get a 'connection' but no internet, try:
ipconfig /all
Check to see if you have a valid IP address and the Gateway is that of your VM cable modem, and your DNS which are usually 194.168.4.100, 194.168.8.100, or the same but with 123 instead of 100.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Sponsored Links
Back