Laptop Overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Acer Aspire 5535 with Vista x86 installed.

The fan is working yet the laptop still gets to hot and crashes.

Can be restarted after cooling down.

Has anyone had experience with this problem?

Sponsored Links
Age of machine; how long has this been happening, etc, etc ?
Common problem with (older) laptops is that the fans get blocked with dust, have you cleared both fans and vents of dust ?

dont lay the laptop on a soft surface[duvet or leg for example] if the vent is underneath

Sponsored Links
Its about five years old and has just recently started crashing.

I'm inclined to agree with clogged up ducts/vents as mentioned above.

I've propped the laptop up with a book at each side to give an inch gap underneath and the laptop has been running for two hours albeit the fan races occasionally.

I'll take the back off and give the fan and ducts a good vacuum.

Thanks for the replies folks.

dont lay the laptop on a soft surface[duvet or leg for example] if the vent is underneath
I've always thought that laptop was the biggest misnomer ever given to a piece of kit.

remind me off the time i bought a "credit card " calculator as you would expect it was the size off a credit card hence the name
so guess where i stored it
it lasted a week when i took it back the told me it wasnt supposed to be stored in a wallet as the flexing damages them

I've clean out the dust.

Where the copper rod of the CPU heat sink runs in the fan envelope, there was a pile of dust/fluff collected and this was stopping the air blowing over the rod.

I noticed there's additional metal pad on the rod above a second IC which I assume to be the graphics chip. When I pulled the heat sink assembly off, there was a soft rubbery pad on the chip which I assume is a thermallly conducting pad?

Anyway, when I reattached the heatsink, I applied theral paste to both the CPU and the additional chip - hopefully all will be well.

I ran the laptop on its side with the bottom cover removed and when the laptop wais booted and running, the top of the CPU heat sink is very hot - can't keep my finger on it - is this temperature level normal?

It's worth checking for spyware, malware and other gremlins also. Sometimes fans overwork when the computer is infected.
Also, from a purely personal experience perspective......... Are you using the google chrome browser? If so, and if you do find malware and spyware, I'd recommend removing GC also. I find it to be a perfectly decent browser, but it works way to hard in the background, probably gathering info from your PC etc, but it seems to be always wrking and can also slow things down/heat things up from that perspective.

I did a boot up scan with Avast which found/deleted two viruses.

Did a scan with Malwarebytes which gave a clear round.

Also bought on of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-PORT-US...ND-/150933989625?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

and after the laptop had been running for five hours sat on the cooler, there was just the slightest feel of warmth underneath.

Overheating well and truly solved I think.

Thank for the replies folks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back