Large change in water pressure and whining/humming pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've noticed that over the past few months that when the water pressure reads at around 0.5, when the heating (gas central heating) comes on the pressure changes to about 2. Is that a normal jump in the reading? I dont remember tracking it before, so I'm not sure how long its been that different for.

I ask as now when the heating comes on, there is a definite "hum" or audible "whine" (which can be just enough to wake you) which I'm pretty sure wasn't there, say, last year. I also think the noise is more prominent for the first hour or so.

I would also say that the water pressure (say if I topped it up to "1" used to stay there for the best part of a year, whereas now I seem to be topping it up every couple of months or so.

The setup is currently a gas boiler that heats my water tank. The equipment is around 30 years old.

Thanks for any pointers towards the noise culprit.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the expansion vessel needs pumping back up to pressure. Its very likely inside the casing, get it checked on the next service.
The noise will be a rubber pipe mount either come a bit loose or the rubber has lost its bounce with age. While the noise is happening, hold or lean on the pipes as near the pump/boiler as you can, see if the noise changes.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
The plumber actually arrived yesterday and "let out a lot of air" from radiators, and increased the water tank pressure from about 0.5 to 1.5 and said if it drops more quickly than usual it would point to a separate problem.
We think the noise may have been originating from the boiler itself rather than the pipes, and it does seem to have decreased quite a lot, although not completely gone, but much improved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back