Large House Small Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached house measuring 10m deep by 10 m wide. The garden is 12 m long and 2 metres wide

I ve received permission to do a 8M single storey extension which would make the house very large but also leave me with a small garden.

Does anyone have any thoughts on when a house becomes too big and how important a garden is? I ll be left with a 12 M wide and four metres deep garden which is small and I worry about being able to resell it!

Other then that I m about to start on the foundations in a few weeks so I ll be posting pictures!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your near a park the small garden might not be so bad. Otherwise if it gets the sun.

Put up mirrors on the back fence, then you will have an 8 metre deep garden, albeit with a view of an identical house to yours :)

I'm surprised you got permission for that, you did well! That's a tiny garden and will be even more tiny at only 8m2 remaining for a 210m2+ house
Can you buy any of the surrounding land? That would be a great solution to get things in proportion again

Sponsored Links
You start with a garden 12m long and 2m wide, have an 8m extension, then be left with a 12m by four meter garden. Am I missing something or is garden tardis?

Last edited:
Hi that should have read 12 M long and 12M wide !!!!!!

Sorry for the confusion

Does anyone have any thoughts on when a house becomes too big and how important a garden is? I ll be left with a 12 M wide and four metres deep garden which is small and I worry about being able to resell it!
!
FWIW down here in Sussex they're putting up 3 bed detached houses with 1m. to the road and 2m. @ the back. :unsure:

We chose our house due to the large back garden, very important for us as we were planning to have children at the time.

Depends who buys it but for us decent garden and off road parking were top priorities.

We didn't buy a house purely because they'd done what you are proposing.

It's all personal choice but, in my opinion, it will make your sell-on market a lot smaller.

Could you have a loft conversion, or even a basement putting in?

I have a detached house measuring 10m deep by 10 m wide. The garden is 12 m long and 2 metres wide

I ve received permission to do a 8M single storey extension which would make the house very large but also leave me with a small garden.

Other then that I m about to start on the foundations in a few weeks so I ll be posting pictures!

Design your garden as more of a court yard with permanent Bbq seating social area. I see this a lot in Australia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back