Large LED Downlighters - My Extension Lighting

Those pl ones look a little old school.
When installed you look up and see, for example, a white ring with a frosted glass centre.

Pretty much identical to this:

screenshot_788.jpg

Sponsored Links
So would the reason to go for them be that the bulb is replaceable?

Over an LED version like your photo.

Sponsored Links
The only issue I have with a PLC downlighter is the light output is not even across the span of the lens, you can somewhat see the output of the lamp.

They're also, traditionally a lot deeper than the LED equivalents, so dependant on roof space, they might be too big.

I would just go for a 'known brand' and not worry too much about them dying.

Stay well away from that last one you've listed. I (foolishly) used a driver remarkably similar to that one for some 12V LED strips recently, I chose it because it looks like you can remove the included cables and replace with your own. WRONG, open up those covers and the cables are (if you're lucky) soldered to the PCB and then a big hunk of hot glue dropped on top.

If they're using that quality of driver, then you can only assume the fitting is the same garbage.

I would honestly go with Aurora, there are other brands, such as JCC, Ansell, Halers, Click, Philips etc. But if you look through the portfolio on the Aurora site, they work with some huge companies. A friend of mine is a spark that works with McDonalds, and AIUI they are almost exclusively fitting Aurora fittings throughout now - if you went for the same one as they use in McDonalds, I would expect the manufacturing life to be somewhat longer than any other fitting, and if and when they replace it, they will almost inevitably make one that looks identical - or somebody else will to fill that huge market gap

I'm not with you.

Are you labouring under the misapprehension that lights and LED drivers and dimmers etc are all pretty much the same these days, and that you can scour the internet for the cheapest you can find, and end up with something performant, reliable and safe?

A lot do.

We quite often see them here complaining that things don't work, or reporting that their stuff caught fire.

I want something that works, and as long as what I linked is suitable I'm sure it will be safe coming from varilight.

From the spec and description I think it will be ok for my 4 leds.

The internet can put you in contact with reputable suppliers of good quality products. It can also put you in contact with seemingly reputable suppliers whose products are cheap, un-reliable and sometimes dangerous. Products that were designed and manufacturer with the sole aim of maximum profit for the sometimes criminal people running the sales operation.

Ok well mine is all the former I'm sure, I've looked at enough of the buggers, be glad when they're in the ceiling

Just a little update.........

I did get these http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights...g-light-ip54-rating-dust-and-splashproof.html , seem a very quality fitting, I've only tested them so far but in 4k they seem a good light, really nice spread. 4 in my kitchen will be fine and the dimming should come in handy. They aren't cheap but I got 20% off and another 20% off via quidco so pretty good in the end.

I also tested one in my half finished bathroom and it lit it great so I'm going to return the three similar smaller downlights (3k temp which was a bit warm in there) I purchased and get one more for in there

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back