Large shed base on sodden ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having second thoughts on a base for a new shed.

I'm planning on putting a large shed 3.5x8m (26x11.5ft in old money) at the top of my garden.
The ground is mostly quite flat, but I've recently had to remove/grind out a large tree stump that would have been in the way.

The ground in that area is a little moist, given recent weather, the undisturbed turf squelches a bit underfoot, and the area where the stump came out is quite spongy. There's a lot of clay in the subsoil I've discovered.

My original thought would be a standard shed-grade concrete slab, maybe with rebar given the size and potential for settlement, but I'm thinking now either it needs digging down a foot and putting type 1 in before the concrete, or something a bit more left field like concrete piers/piles and a suspended timber (or RSJ) frame.

What would others do in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Would ground screws be worth looking at? Plenty of informative websites and good for gardebuildings

Interesting, not aware of this technology, sounds good. The ground is pretty saturated at the moment, and given the size of the stump, some pretty long screws would probably be needed to get through the soup, but I like the idea of not chucking a tonne of concrete into the ground.

As plastic peanut says, ground screws with a good solid frame to put your shed on would be a good idea.

kinross2-e1494237124789.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the confusion, that was a picture I grabbed off the internet!.

I have a project planned at some point to use ground screws and I'll be doing them by hand.

update,

Went with ground-screws in the end, there's a couple of companies that seem to offer an installation service (I was unsure I'd get them in straight), found a local-ish one who was willing to travel.

Things had dried out a bit by installation time, but hopefully it'll be just as stable when wet - 20 screws, each one being 4ft long. Reckon that'll do..

more to follow in it's own thread at some point.

p.s. Very happy with the screws, top service by the fella that put them in, had it done in a morning, and each one was spot on location-wise. the neighbours and other trades have seen them and are impressed too.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back