Last Night at The Proms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How sad of the Remoaners to politicise this great British tradition. No EU flags to be seen at the outside broadcasts from Wales, Scotland, NI and Hyde Park, but several oversized flags and EU T-shirted remoaners in the Albert Hall.

There were many overseas flags flying, probably flown with pride by their own nationals. But for the remoaners to cynically purchase a job lot of EU flags to hand out is pretty desperate.

Sponsored Links
Yep, an Albert Hall full of people who have absolutely no pride in their country.. Sad.. very sad.

(I wonder if they actually sang Land of Hope and Glory, or remained silent)

whilst i fully expect people to to celebrate the good in our past history
a lot off the advances in our history have been gained at the cost off often slavery 'bullying raping the natural resouces without fair compensation
often with a "we know whats best for you " attitude with the arrogance off trying to think we are superiour or better with our "christian" belifes are correct

You say 'we' but those in charge were at least fair.

They treated their own people equally badly.

Sponsored Links
a lot off the advances in our history have been gained at the cost off often slavery 'bullying raping the natural resouces without fair compensation
often with a "we know whats best for you " attitude with the arrogance off trying to think we are superiour or better with our "christian" belifes are correct
Ahh here we go again.. Do you want to apologise for these things that you had absolutely no control over?? Why not apologise for the "original sin" mentioned in the bloody bible. For Christ sake, we're becoming a nation of apologists.. I wonder when Angela Merkel is going to apologise for 2 world wars, and I'm still waiting for an apology from the Swedish, Norwegian and Danish PM's for the rape and pillage inflicted upon us by the bloody Vikings.. I just know the French won't ever apologise for William the Conqueror, but fully expect the Italian PM to make reparation for the Roman conquest in 55BC

How sad of the Remoaners to politicise this great British tradition.
Since when has the Proms been a celebration of British tradition?
Let us look at the first five composers listed here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/events/composers/by/a-z
Keiko Abe - Japanese,
Hans Abrahamsen - Danish
Franz Abt - German
Adolph Adam - French
John Adams - American
That is just the first five composers with surnames beginning with A! That is the first 5 out of 66 with names beginning with A!

Now the performers and conductors:
Aaron T Aaron - Nigerian
S Abas - cannot find much about her/him
Dimi Mint Abba - Mauritanian of Arabic descent.
Claudio Abbado - Italian
John Abberger - American

That is just the first five performers with surnames beginning with A! That is the first 5 out of 312 with names beginning with A!

Now what were you trying to say about this great British tradition?
The great British tradition that has trouble finding British talent to perform!
See if you can find any British among them!

You are trying politicise classical music! :rolleyes:

(I wonder if they actually sang Land of Hope and Glory, or remained silent)

Ahh here we go again.. Do you want to apologise for these things that you had absolutely no control over?? Why not apologise for the "original sin" mentioned in the bloody bible. For Christ sake, we're becoming a nation of apologists.. I wonder when Angela Merkel is going to apologise for 2 world wars, and I'm still waiting for an apology from the Swedish, Norwegian and Danish PM's for the rape and pillage inflicted upon us by the bloody Vikings.. I just know the French won't ever apologise for William the Conqueror, but fully expect the Italian PM to make reparation for the Roman conquest in 55BC

Oh dear judith has not realised the significance of the lyrics to Land of Hope and Glory, which big-all was referring to. Allow me to reprint the chorus for you:
Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,
How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet,
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.

The writing of the song is contemporaneous with the publication of Cecil Rhodes' will—in which he bequeathed his considerable wealth for the specific purpose of promoting "the extension of British rule throughout the world", and added a long detailed list of territories which Rhodes wanted brought under British rule and colonised by British people. The reference to the extension of the British Empire's boundaries may reflect the Boer War, recently won at the time of writing, in which the United Kingdom gained further territory, endowed with considerable mineral wealth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Hope_and_Glory

Yeah Wannabehimmyagain, I think you should start a petition to stop them playing Land of Hope and Glory as the final song. Set one up on Change.org and let's see how many people sign it.

Yeah Wannabehimmyagain, I think you should start a petition to stop them playing Land of Hope and Glory as the final song. Set one up on Change.org and let's see how many people sign it.
The discussion of adopting Land of Hope and Glory as an English anthem has already been discussed in full, and the public opinion consulted.
I believe Jerusalem was the preferred option.

Land of Hope and Glory has had a bit of a chequered history.

I personally prefer the alternative chorus:
nothing.gif

NEW
nothing.gif

Music and our voices
Unite us all as one,
Let our sound be mighty,
Sung by everyone.
Deeper and still deeper
Shall our bounds be set
Bring our world together
Make us closer yet.

Edit: My correction:
In a BBC poll in 2006, 55% of people preferred Land of Hope and Glory as a national anthem for England, and of course it's sung regularly by supporters of the England rugby team. But Land of Hope and Glory is hopelessly imperialist and also has rather too much God in it, and for those reasons I'd rule it out.

Rule Britannia is very familiar from jingoistic renderings at the Last Night of the Proms, as well as being associated with the navy, what with all that ruling of waves. The second verse is perhaps rather smug and inappropriate in these days of the European Union:

"The nations, not so blest as thee / Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall; / While thou shalt flourish great and free, / The dread and envy of them all."

I am not sure that dread and envy is quite the tone we are going for currently, what with the emphasis on international trade and free movement of persons.

I heartily approve of Jerusalem, being a fan of William Blake. I remember it from school, when we sang it on the last day of the summer term, so for me it has a strong association with liberation.....
Jerusalem was then adopted by the Labour Party after its 1945 election victory, and has also been sung by the Conservative Party and the Liberal Democrats, so it obviously has cross-party support.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35312314

Perhaps the RWR cannot distinguish between nationalism and patriotism:
Because I agree with George Orwell that while nationalism is an evil in the world, patriotism has its place.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35312314
The RWR often mistake the lack of nationalism (among us so called lefties, libertards, etc) for a lack of patriotism.

Last edited:
Music and our voices
Unite us all as one,
Let our sound be mighty,
Sung by everyone.
Deeper and still deeper
Shall our bounds be set
Bring our world together
Make us closer yet

Left wing codswallop.

whilst we are not responsible for the actions off others and should never have to apologize for there actions
we can off course express our distain at the actions and express a sympathetic "sorry" in the same way you would say sorry you broke your leg or you where mugged
its all part off the healing process and helps people move on its called empathy and caring :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It was a thing of beauty, and long may it continue.

Sponsored Links
Back