Latching Relay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What I want to do is operate a light from a automatic garage door fob, when you operate the door there is 230vac output from the controller. What I was thinking was if the output voltage could trigger a Latching relay (Im thinking latching as when you press the button the relay will latch - light is on, when they press the button to close the door relay will release - light off)

I've not had much experience with relays so appreciate your help, I may have got the whole latching relay wrong in my head. Any advice as to which one to use as well would be good, Rs have soooo many to chose from. It needs a 230v coil and able to switch a 100w load.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why not just fit a limit switch to the garage door? That way the light will come on if you open it by hand as well...

Thats what the guys got already and has gone through about 3 of them he doesn't like them and believes them to be unreliable, I've never had any trouble with them, maybe he just wants to be flash. Will my idea work??

Does the controller have separate output signals to open and close or is the 230volts common to both?

Sponsored Links
So there is a pulse there when the door is operated, regardless of which direction its going in?

Just weighing up what this unit does, it appears to operate on the first single pulse input, and then off on the second. It also times out after 1min on for 4mins so may have a tendancy to do what it likes.
Can you not use a heavy duty limit switch as BAS has said, he shouldn't burn one of those out in a hurry unless he is switching something daft.

I spoke to a technical man at RS and he said the one and four minutes refer to the input, if the input is held on for more then 1 minute it may burn / damage the coil and if its been used for 1 minute you should wait four minutes before you operate it again.

He said that once the unit receives a momentary input the device will hold the contacts until it receives another input.

The guy doesn't want to use the limit switch anymore, its a pain I know.

The 230v is only present for about 20 seconds so momentery, why do you ask?

you can get an addition to a contactor called a pneumatic timer which may help you but i have only seen a maximum of 3 minutes on them,basically it will start to time out when the contactor loses its supply

Something you could try is to remove the timer board from a bathroom fan, mount it in a box thats fit for purpose, make the appropriate conns between the door feed/load receiver relay and perm. feed and in the same way as you connect a fan with run-on timer, connect the light to the output where the fan moter would be. Hope that makes sense.

Surely there are reliable enough limit switches that will avoid all the complexity?

For example:
R436038-01.jpg

Job_n_knock said:
Something you could try is to remove the timer board from a bathroom fan, mount it in a box thats fit for purpose, make the appropriate conns between the door feed/load receiver relay and perm. feed and in the same way as you connect a fan with run-on timer, connect the light to the output where the fan moter would be. Hope that makes sense.

Or he could remove the PLC from that CNC lathe in his garden. The following may work

LD X01 out C1 k0
LD C1 PLS m100
LD C1 out C2 k1
LD M100 set Y1
LD C2 RST Y1
LD C1 RST C1
LD C2 RST C2
End

X01 being the NV input via relay
Y1 being the light

FFC :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back