Lath and Plaster Replacing with drywalll

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by deanflyer, 13 Jul 2008.

1. deanflyer

deanflyer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have a 4x4 ft section of wall where the plaster is all but detached from the laths. Is the best way to replace this just cut thelaths,batten and replace with drywall?

Any hints/gotchas?

Dean

2. jbonding

jbonding

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    cut it out back to the studs and re board with plasterboard, check the thickness and get the apropiate board or double up ie 9.5 * 2 =19mm and then just skim taping the joint.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. deanflyer

deanflyer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have cut it back to the studs, a lot more than I thought was loose.

i'll proably get someone to skim it, dont mind putting up the plasterboard, but how is the tape applied (sorry if it sounds a stupid question)!

Dean

5. deanflyer

deanflyer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ok last chance - i've bought the plasterboard!!

I know to tape the new plasterboard, but do I still tape between the new plasterboard and the existing lath/plaster that there.

The tape I have bought is like a mesh and is self adhesive, wont this cause a raised edge where the existing plaster is?

Cheers,

Dean

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Richard C

Richard C

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A single layer of reinforcing tape between the plasterboards is all you need. I’ve not married lath & plaster to PB before but I would use 3 strips of reinforcing where they join, one either side & another down the centre; I’ve use this method to marry new studwork to existing block work walls successfully many times.

Ideally you need to skim the whole wall to be sure of an invisible repair but if you just intend to patch repair, it is possible to blend in over the surrounding area; weather or not your chosen plasterer will be able to achieve an invisible repair or not is another matter! ;)

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local