Lawful Development Certificate, How long is valid for.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning All

Can anyone please advise how long is lawful development certificate valid for (Typical loft conversion mid-terrace house)
I have submitted an application in 22 of march 2017 and decision has been made in 17 of May 2017, is this certificate still valid?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
There isn't a length that an LDC is valid for. It is just a document that says at the time it is granted, the development is lawful.

With a loft conversion (assuming you have a rear dormer or something similar too) I don't think there's been any real national policy change in permitted development since May 2017 in regards to dormer windows that would mean your LDC isn't valid, so you should be fine.

The only issue may be if things have changed locally or on site since the submission (I.E. you have had other extensions or alterations to the house / roof, the land has been classified as a conservation area, new Article 4 directions etc etc). Aside to this you are probably fine to carry out the works under that Certificate still. Double check with the Local Authority who issued it if you have further concerns.

Sponsored Links
For life (the house's not yours) if it's certifying existing development

Valid up until the next change of planning policy if the development has not been significantly started

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back