lay new flooring on top or rip up and start from scratch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new kitchen extension is near to completion but my OH and I are in disagreement about the floor.
The original kitchen floor is very uneven concrete with fairly even parquet flooring on top which we laid many years ago soon after we moved in. It is basically sound with no loose tiles. The new extension is block and beam with concrete/dpm/water-resistant chipboard.

My choice would be to leave the parquet tiles alone and simply lay a new floor (laminate or wood) on top, bringing the new bit up to the same level with fibreboard underlay or similar.
My OH favours ripping the parquet tiles up first.....
Any views on this dilemma would be most welcome.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm on your side. Unless your lass is dying to have a go at levelling a concrete floor then I would leave it and go over with the new.

If you install a new wood floor ontop of your parquet (5-fingers mosaic?) be aware not to close off the moist evaporation the parquet allows. Specially be careful with laminated floors (plastic!)
Better wood be wood-engineered flooring on top of foam underlayment (without DPM!)

Sponsored Links
That's an interesting point, thank you (the parquet is 5 finger mosaic) I hadn't considered the fact that laminate isn't wood and therefore doesn't breathe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back