Laying a new concrete floor .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to you . I wish to remove my existing tiled floor in my kitchen , and install a new concrete floor .The size is 10 foot by eight foot . My query is this ? Is this a worthwhile job to do myself , or hire someone else ? What would the cost be , if I done the work compared to employing a professional to carry out this work ? Thanks in anticipation to any replies .

Sponsored Links
you would have to get rid of the debris of the old floor and plan the quantities of materials required for the new floor as well as the time it would take to install.
but do you really need to do it?
is there something wrong with the tiles?
could you just use some floor levelling compound instead...if you are planning to install new tiles or some other new floor...
i would need to know why you want to alter stuff to answer this properly
:)

Thank you for the prompt reply . The existing floor is in a victorian terraced house , floor tiles approx ten by eight inches . These tiles are laid directly onto soil , with no concrete slab . The floor is no longer level , cold and damp . I am open to alternative suggestions , as to overcoming this problem . Once the floor is complete , I will be fitting a new kitchen , and want to ensure that I don:t have to do the floor again in a few years time .

Your existing floor will only get worse and if you are going to install a new kitchen then now is the time to bite the bullet.
Builder to do the lot around £1000-1500 (variables e.g. access, geographical location, skip costs and so on)
To save on costs I would consider ripping out the existing tiles (if any good you may be able to sell on for reclamation/salvage) and doing the dig yourself.
As for blinding, DPM, insulation (deeper dig but worthwhile in the long term), concrete and screeding I would leave to a professional if you are unsure of levels etc.

Sponsored Links
In effect after the old stuff is removed, you will be starting from scratch.

you could have the insulation/concrete option maybe even incorporate underfloor heating of some sort.

or you could have a traditional joists and floorboards type floor (with treated perlite to insulate the void)

definitely worth hanging on and doing some research before you start.

reason i say this is cus i have one room in my house with a concrete floor and it is freezing compared to all the other wooden ones, also, it compromises all the air bricks in there as well.

If i had the cash, i think i would rip it all up and put some joists in.

Thanks again for prompt replies .I have now decided to bite the bullet and install an insulated concrete floor . The only part of the job , which I will not carry out myself is , the final floor screed .I am a heating engineer and I have recently carried out major repairs to a combi heating installation at a plasterer:s house at :mates rates:He will return favour by assisting me. Bartering is wonderful .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back