Laying a new patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing patio made up of concrete and paving slabs, its accross 2 levels and instead of having a step the existing owner put the concrete slabs at a slope.

I want to lay a new patio and as the existing one is generally made up of concrete I was hoping to lay it on top. (I also want to gain a bit of height)

Having never laid a patio Im looking for advise, should I lay a bed of sand over the existing patio and then the new slabs on top? What type of sand should I use and should I use a wacker on the sand before or after laying the slabs?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
as youve got different surfaces down already and no way of knowing whats underneath them, i would break up all the concrete/paving and level it off as hardcore. Compact it and then put a bedding layer of sharp sand down, again compact it then screed it off.

Hmmm its a lot of work, I was hoping to cheat if you like, so if i lift the slabs and lay hard core down use a wacker I then lay the patio and use the wacker again?

Sponsored Links
no you break up all the existing. whacker that, then put a bedding layer of sharp sand down (dependent on the type of slabs) whacker that. screed it off level to falls, then lay the slabs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back