Laying a patio advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I've checked out pavingexpert.com + read a few posts on here- but would still welcome any advice pls.

I'm laying a 16msq patio in the rear garden, consisting of 600 x 600 x 50mm precast concrete slabs. I'm in the process of cleaning out all the existing rubbish and I'm gonna be digging down approx 100mm into the soil. I'm then gonna dry lay 50mm grit sand (approx 1.5 tonnes in all), mixed with cement (approx 125kg), at a 10:1 ratio. Then I will lay the slabs over, butt jointed + spot bedded on the perimeters only.

I'm just wondering about a few points:
- pavingexpert.com say a landscaping layer, between the soil + grit sand isn't needed. But i'm not going to be using any form of compacter for the sand, is it therefore still ok to not use any landscaping layer?
- anything short of hiring a cement mixer, how do i go about mixing the grit sand with the cement? (the local builders merchants don't have anything premixed).

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
if the paving is to stand pedestrian traffic only and the ground is fairly well drained (not clay), then you will be ok laying without the hard core layer.

do remove any vegetable matter and fertile soil though.

spot bedding is the easier way, solid bedding is far better.

how do you mix the sand/cement??? Try mixing it in a wheelbarrow????

ian413 said:
how do you mix the sand/cement??? Try mixing it in a wheelbarrow????

for those folk who don't have their own, hiring a mixer is essential.

to try and mix that much compo' manually does not make sense.

Sponsored Links
thanku for the replies

I will hire a mixer then noseall...........so i will not be needed a compacter then? I'm ok to lay the sand/cement mix as is?

You also didn't mention the landscaping role, again i presume that means i don't need one then?

Again thanks for any advice

Mix it however you like, is it 16metres square or 16square metres?The first is alot bigger area.
Anyway, you don t need a land scaping layer , but i would prefer to use a weedkiller on the area to be slabbed to be sure, even after weeding it thoroughly.Plus consider standing water on the slabs, so I would recommend laying the slabs at a slight 'fall' to enable any water to drain efficently.
Good Luck

no need for the landsacping fabric, it will serve no purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back