Laying a paved area help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My apologies for the long post.

I am a complete novice at laying paving flags, but I am building what you could call a patio. It is actually a 17ft x 8ft area that will hold two rabbit hutches and their runs. I am using 600x600x38mm concrete flags which are being laid on a sub base of crushed stone, which is topped with a compacted layer of Mersey grit and cement mix.

The area for this project is between the end of an existing patio, going away from the house, down the garden and the door end of a large block built shed, with the fence on the right hand side and the lawn on the left. The garden has a fall from the patio to the shed, so the paved area is going to have quite a slope. What is the largest slope I can get away with, without it starting to affect what I am using it for (I don`t want the rabbits sliding across their hutches).

I put a fall on the sand bed of a full bubble on a 3ft level, but when I got to the shed door I had no room under the door for the flags. I could drop the finished height of the flags from where they meet the existing patio, but there would be an obvious step from the existing patio to the new flags. I was also thinking of dropping the new flag level by 1- 2in, and were it meets the existing patio leaving a 3in gap and filling it with decorative stone.

I would appreciate some advice please.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back