Paving Pattern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I need help to decide what paving pattern will be best in my back garden.

I want to use paving in a random pattern, and also break the pattern up with a half moon of cobble setts (100 x 100) as shown in diagram 1.

The cobbles must be exactly the same stone as the main paving flags that are to be used in the random pattern.

This is the problem; it's difficult to get 100 x 100 cobbles and paving flags made out of exactly the same stone.

My question;

Maybe I could build the half moon out of the same material as the main patio area, random pattern again but just shaping them as shown in diagram 2.

From a build point of view is this a nightmare?
Does anyone have any good ideas?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have deleted my contribution to this ungrateful tossers problem, I hope it all ends in a complete F*** up. :LOL: :LOL:

not a nightmare from a build point of view, will just need setting out properly. What paving are you thinking of using? Indian sandstone paving setts 100 x 100 are obtainable to match indian sandstone paving

That's right, Sandstone. I noticed today that pavingexpert will provide a layout plan for about £50, is it worth it? Saves me getting it wrong.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
in that case 100 x 100 setts can be obtained from most decent suppliers (proper paving suppliers, not builders merchants!) Up to you with the plan. Im used to laying it and would lay the setts first. The random pattern is easy once you get used to it.

...but do plan it out on paper first. If you buy a pallet load of stone slabs in a kit then you'll have no choice on the number of different sizes you get, hence the need to plan it carefully.

TBH I steer clear of random patterns these days - most customers think they are too "busy", especially with the detailing you are going to use. My advice would be to use a repeating two or three-size pattern for the rest. You are going to have a lot of cutting to do, too, around the curves. The good thing aboiut stone is that you can cut and grind it to shape without major problems. Just take your time with a good grinder.

Just my 2p

Thanks WabbitPoo,

I did wonder a large area of random flags may be too much.

I agree it needs to be planned carefully on paper before I start. I will get pavingexpert to design the layout, I've asked him for a quote. Maybe I can upload his layout so everyone can see if it's a useful service.

Thinking about it, you say you would lay a repeat pattern using 2 or 3 different sizes, could I use a repeat pattern using 4 different sizes?

This is what you get in the project pack I have ordered;

290 x 290
600 x 290
600 x 600
600 x 900

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back