Laying Amtico - Advice for a Newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of a situation at the moment whereby I was due to have some Amtico laid for me a few weeks ago. Having spent months trying to locate a fitter, the agreed date finally came around. However, for one reason or another, the fitter wasn't able to lay the flooring during the agreed time period and has given us a new date for fitting well into the new year.

Unfortunately this is unacceptable for us, especially as we have taken up the flooring where the Amtico is to be laid and are left with a cold, concrete floor-space.

Having had a bit of a read-up on the olde interweb, it would appear that Amtico fitters are not only thin on the ground but hard to get hold of due to demand (well, especially up here). Other Googling has taught me that laying Amtico isn't particularly straightforward but as long as instructions are adhered to and the correct products used then all should be fine.

What with the approaching festive season, I'm considering tackling the fitting myself. The reason for posting on here is that I would really really appreciate advice on the task I'm about to under-take so as to ensure that I've done everything "by the book".

The floor onto which the Amtico is to be laid is a concrete floor. A bit of preparation is required before I can do anything else, such as filling in any holes where the gripper rod nails have created and sanding/grinding some parts of the concrete back to its "rough" surface.

Once this has been done, how do I then need to prepare the floor prior to laying the Amtico? Can anyone advise any particular brands or specific products which I would need to use to achieve a good quality finish? Some searches have indicated that the screed which needs to be applied should be done to a thickness of at least 3mm, can anyone offer advice regarding this? Once the floor has been primed and then had screed applied, is it just a simple case of applying the adhesive and then laying the Amtico panels? I believe a roller is also necessary to ensure that there is good adhesion between the panels and the adhesive?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone can give me.

Sponsored Links
Preparing a subfloor for Amtico or any stick down LVT and then fitting the product itself is just about the most difficult and skilled floor fitting job in the trade. Personally I wouldn't recommend tackling this one yourself unless you really aren't too fussed about the overall finish of the job, and that getting the floor down is more important than waiting a couple of weeks and having a perfect floor that should last many many years.

Firstly you need to check the moisture content of the concrete floor with a hydrometer or at least a protometer.
Depending on these readings, you maybe looking at laying a Liquid Damp Membrane and then you will definitely be Screeding the floor with a self levelling product, Ardit NA is a good moisture tolerant screed (but it is not a substitute for a DPM)
Then you can look at tackling the laying of the Amtico tiles, you'll need the correct trowel for the adhesive you are using and the tools, levels, straight edges and guides to lay the tiles straight and true.

I don't want to sound defeatist, but laying an amtico floor is probably not worth trying to DIY.

Agreed with hat dave says to be honest. I fit a lot of LVT and Amtico is the hardest one to do.
Prep has to be 100% perfect.
What area are you in. I might know someone.
Maybe have a look on the NICF website.

Sponsored Links
I had a go. Sourced some free tiles that were left over from another job and it was a little downstairs loo so nothing to lose really. All went well. Didn't use anything special. Self leveling compound over the concrete then standard floor tile adhesive from screwfix. That was a few years ago still looks fine. I'm sure a bigger room would be significantly harder though.

I do a lot of diy and there are detailed guides to most things online but I struggled to find much for amtico laying. They seem pretty keen to keep it a pro only job.

Thanks for all your replies.

I was able to check the moisture in the floor (using a friends hygrometer) and approximately 90% of the readings came back below 75% RH. There were a couple of "spots" which had readings over 80% but literally moving the hygrometer a couple of millimetres away produced readings below 75%.

Thankfully though, I have managed to get hold of a fitter who is coming in another week to firstly prepare the floor and then lay the Amtico. Took a bit of finding and a cancellation of another job but fingers crossed, the floor should be down in time for Christmas!

I'm never one to shy away from a DIY task but the missus seemed to think it was one step too far for me - and to be fair, she's probably right!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back