Laying bricks with a really thin mortar bed

Is building sand not fine enough?

The garden wall the beds are going next to have a wider joint, so I will suggest I match those instead! Should keep her happy. Thanks so much for all the help, though. I learned a lot.
Particle size is usually 2.5mm to 3mm diameter max, so should be ok, but if you end up with 5mm in a 5mm joint, that's not so good :LOL:. As Nose says, best of luck with it all.

Sponsored Links
Building sand has sub-millimeter particles. Sharp sand has the larger particles. Anyway, I'm not an expereienced enough brickie to go for the thin bed method! I'll suggest a nicely-struck 8-10mm bed instead. Thanks so much for your advice, though - much appreciated.

I can't see the problem with laying thin bed brickwork.

You just don't lay so much of a bed, make sure the mortar is very pliable (use an entrainer or lime) and the bricks are dampened if need be. Then you rub them down a little and thats it.

If you've ever laid white glazed bricks you''l know what tight joints are

The only issue is if the bricks are not of uniform depth - as with a thin joint, there is less chance for any height variance to be taken up in the joint

Sponsored Links
Definately not! :eek:

(use the 32p stuff from the Spar shop)

LOL - I typed "fairy" instinctively but then backspaced when I re-read it :oops:

Have just belatedly read this post and feel you are all barking up the wrong tree.

From initial description, (red brick victorian job. The mortar gaps in the house are really thin - couple of mm at most)...this is almost certainly a description of `tuck jointing` which was popular on the front of Victorian houses. The joint is white and looks 2mm thick, but it is in reality 10 to 14mm thick, filled in with a mortar to match the brick colour and then a recess of 2mm made to accept the white `putty` finish As on the front of no. 10 Downing Street.

I'm not a bricky and can't speak technically but...
they could well be 2mm joints, I once watched a bricky lay rubbed lime mortar joints and he achieved consistent 1/16 inch bed joints to match existing - the bricks were laid in 3-4mm beds and rubbed to and fro to bed them down, fascinating stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back