Laying floor tiles over existing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen floor with ceramic tiles which are sound but we just don't like them.

Firstly, is it ok just to tile over the top - and if so, what preparation would be required?

Secondly, there is an area under units which wasn't tiled last time but has older tiles about 6mm or so lower. What is the best thing to use to build up the level?

I should point out that the whole kitchen is being refitted anyway and there is a substantial run of units which will not be in the same place in the new design.

Sponsored Links
Ratter said:
Firstly, is it ok just to tile over the top - and if so, what preparation would be required?
Providing they are sound then this is fine. Just make sure they are very clean and dry.
Ratter said:
Secondly, there is an area under units which wasn't tiled last time but has older tiles about 6mm or so lower. What is the best thing to use to build up the level?
So am I to understand that there'll be 3 layers of tiles when you've finished? :rolleyes: :LOL: You can raise the level with self levelling compound.
Ratter said:
I should point out that the whole kitchen is being refitted anyway and there is a substantial run of units which will not be in the same place in the new design.
If I were you, I'd rip the lot up and retile the lot.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Having excavated a little, it would seem that there are not two layers of tiles, just two different sorts of tile.

Therefore, I am inclined to go with the screed and retile idea because it is a largeish area of 20-25 m2 and domestic harmony is already frayed by this project. Removing everything and starting from scratch (although probably more desirable) might well end in too much marital disharmony :(

Would there be any difficulty is doing the tiling in phases?

Sponsored Links
Ratter said:
Would there be any difficulty is doing the tiling in phases?
Nope, should be straight forward. You'd be as well to use an adhesive suitable for use with porcelain tile though - this adhesive is designed to be used with surfaces with low porosity (like the surface of a tile).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back