laying laminate onto a new concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my sub floor replaced because of floor heave. The builder said that it wasn't necessary to use asphalt as I wanted to put a laminate down.

The concrete is level but a bit rough - although I've swept it, it still produces loads of dust and seems to just wear away slightly just from me walking on it in slippers. I haven't put any furniture back yet and we continue to live upstairs as the builder said that I should wait a few days - though he stressed it was OK to walk on.

My concern is that the floor appears to be wearing away very easily - is this normal? Should I put something on it to prevent this?

I have the green boards and the silver backed underlay for when I lay the laminate - will these things be enough or should I paint the floor with a sealant?

Beverley

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your concrete floor needs its finishing layer! Call your builder back.

Once that's done the underlayment you have is suitable.

Thanks for your quick response.

The builder said he'd done the 'finishing' on friday - he popped back in yesterday (sat) morning to relay my marble hearth.

Is it reasonable to expect it to not simply be able to rub it away with my finger? Or is that just the surface stuff which I should leave for a few days and not worry about?

It would be easy to baffle me with science as I'm not at all knowledgeable about it.

Beverley

Just find out what mix your builder has used. It should not flake away, if you are able to rub a divot with your finger it would suggest poor concrete. (poor mix) One way is to dig down (not too far) and overlay it again.

The underlay you have for your laminate is fine, but if you haven't already fitted it consider solid wooden flooring, much better as laminate does look dated after a time - B&Q have some good deals on at moment for pine flooring already treated.

And don't be fooled - there isn't much science involved in laying concrete.

Sponsored Links
atpplumbing said:
Just find out what mix your builder has used. It should not flake away, if you are able to rub a divot with your finger it would suggest poor concrete. (poor mix) One way is to dig down (not too far) and overlay it again.

The underlay you have for your laminate is fine, but if you haven't already fitted it consider solid wooden flooring, much better as laminate does look dated after a time - B&Q have some good deals on at moment for pine flooring already treated.

And don't be fooled - there isn't much science involved in laying concrete.

Thanks for this

I got the builder out and he said that it wasn't a problem because it was just surface sand. He said that if it was outside the wind and rain would take care of it.

He advised me to mop it frequently over the next week or so and that should take care of the problem - the amount of wearing away certainly seems to have reduced substantially so maybe I was jumping the gun.

Beverley

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back