Laying parquet - the fiddly bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone. I have been going through various threads re laying parquet on concrete screeded floors and I am about to lay one in the hall which is approx 13 sq M using 20mm thick european prime oak blocks. I would like to hire an under cutter for the skirting and put a 2 block wide border around the outside. However I have a couple of questions for the experts.

1) Is it best to lay the blocks as close as possible to where the border will ultimately be then cut them all in situ using a rotary saw prizing away the unwanted bits and then fit the border or do I put the border in after most of the floor has been laid and then cut the remaining blocks individually to fit.

2) Regarding adhesive which one do you recommend Lecol or Sika.

3) Just throw this one in too - any tips for around the doors.

Yours in anticipation

Sponsored Links
1) your first remark is spot on: lay the pattern as far as possible, let the adhesive bond completely and then cut the excess wood of to install your border.

2) both are good

3) we use a feinmaster to undercut the door posts, architraves and 'slide' the wood underneath it - while making sure that even underneath the doorpost is an expansion gap.

Thanks for your swift response and help. I note from other posts that you have a festool plunge saw that you use for skirtings. What do you use for cutting laid blocks prior to adding the border?

Oh by the way I assume that you continue the border at right angles with a mitre when you get to door casings for doors that open outwards (away from the floor as most doors into the living space off a hallway do)

We use the plunge saw for cutting away excess pattern.

How to go around doors is personal choice, your idea is as good as any other way.

Sponsored Links
I have just laid 20mm oak on concrete. I used Lecol which seems to be very good. I hired a plunge saw from HSS hire for the border. This has also worked well. Just the sanding and finishing to go! As with all jobs, it all takes 5 times as long as you expected...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back