Laying solid wood around stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice on this would be really appreciated. Laying solid wood flooring in the hallway where the stairs lead up. Stairs have a curve to the edges, so wont be able to continue the beading around them, so do I need to cut under the stairs and continue the floor underneath? If so, is there any risk of losing structural integraty of the stairs? I'm sure that's a thick question, but want to double check before I do something stupid.

Sponsored Links
Undercut the rounding that far so you can slide the floor underneath AND have an expansion gap where the wood can move to if there is expansion

Best to check first how the stairs are fixed at the bottom tread (from the inside) also check for gas/water pipes and electric cables before cutting anything!! don't just assume it will be all clear!!

If you do cut the bottom tread your stairs will be short of the new floor by the thickness of the blade you use so might need a little packing under the floor from inside the stairs to stop any movement.

Alternatively...
You can cut the new floor up to the bottom tread and leave a small gap of (3 - 5mm) which can be later filled with matching colorfill, or if your stairs are carpeted the gap won't be seen at all.
By starting at the stairs side where the curve is you can make a template from card or strong paper then draw this onto the plank to be fitted. If the cut isn't perfect just nibble away at it until it is.. Start every cut on the stairs side being careful with the lengths you use so the joins arn't altogether.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back