Lead Flashing Correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have attached a photograph of the lead flashing on my recently completed conservatory.

At the narrowest points, it is about 15mm from the plastic trim on the roof bar. This is not consistent with the guidance of the Lead Sheet Association (http://www.leadsheet.co.uk/soakers-and-step-flashings) and I believe general practice which recommends at least 65mm clearance on a pitched roof to avoid heavy rain getting behind the flashing (i.e. bouncing off the surface and up and into the flashing).

My guess is that the risk of this is low but nevertheless should I accept it given the disruption required to put it right and convince the installer it is an issue? I've not seen any flashing on a conservatory cut as close as this around the neighbourhood).

Really appreciate any comments.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Any views on this would be appreciated.

Spoke to the installer and he has basically said there is nothing wrong with it, been doing it like that for 20 years without problem, I'm picky, etc.

Would appreciate any views on whether I should let this go, etc.

Many thanks,

Damian

I suspect that the lead flashing is weathering the sheet under the glazing bar and the bar is there for mainly aesthetic purposes

IMO you have very little to worry about, I think that it will be weatherproof.

The lead flashing looks like it has been installed well.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The lead sheet goes into a secret gutter as part of the roof design. The Lead Sheet Association have a concern that there isn't a sufficient waterline between the trim and edge of the flashing (particularily for splashback off the trim). The trim has also been sealed to the flashing with sealant and the LSA say that this could compromise the thermal expansion of the lead.

Obviously the LSA deal in theory, not necesarily practice.

Thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
The lead sheet association live in a perfect world. Stop fretting about the splash.

I can't see anything wrong with that flashing. It's neat and tidy and would pass any inspection

I'd be more concerned that [from that image] there is no evidence of any cavity trays being installed above the roof line :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies chaps - reassuring.

I can't say I know much about cavity trays Woody but would you expect these to be installed as standard as part of a conservatory installation?

Thanks again,

Damian

Whenever an external wall is part enclosed by a roof to form a room and an external wall becomes an internal wall, there is potential for water to run down the inside of the cavity wall and exit into the new room.

Cavity trays installed above the new roof prevent this

Many companies forget it because it is awkward work, but IMO it should be part of any extension or conservatory work where this potential exists

Search this forum, there are lots of posts about it

Oh joy.

I put a lot of effort into speccing the conservatory but missed this. Why is it that these trades son't mention this and offer a price for doing it at the time? I have no chance raising this now and I know what the reaction will be if I did. I'd rather have the option to do this at the time, then be stuck with the difficulty of doing it retrofit.

I'm guessing an higher flashing wouldn't help minimise the dampness on the brickwork from the splash off the roof.

Chuffed to bits now!

At this stage, I would leave it and see what happens. There is no advantage in disturbing it now.

I cant see exactly the type of bar used against the wall, but if it's what i think it is then the flashing is fine.... neat as woody says... lack of trays will soon show a problem if there is going to be one

Looking @ the quality of your bricks/pointing I`d say you`ll be fine unless that wall is directly facing the prevailing wind and driven rain - even then your brickwork is better than a lot of houses :idea: . If the wall is leeward you`ll never get a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back