Lead flashing has small cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lead flashing on my single storey extension is quite old and there are small cracks appearing, what is the best way to repair these cracks without replacing with new lead flashing :?:

Sponsored Links
Flash band, applied by the use of a heat gun.
You could use flash tape that is self adhesive, but flash band would be the best option. Unless you can lead weld that is?
I have in the past used a gel coat but that was just a short term fix and I had some. It is not really the most suitable product to apply to lead, as they both react differently to the change in environmental conditions. It did hold out for about three years though.

You say small 'small cracks appearing'.

These occur where the lead has been expanding and contracting over the years in the changes of temperature, and will presumably be slightly lifted at these points.

If they are not major splits, then you could get many more years out of the lead just by tapping it back down against the wall at these points.

It's not too difficult to replace lead cover flashings when it comes to it, and wouldn't be much more expensive than attempting to 'botch' it with the likes of Flashband (awful stuff).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back