Small crack in lead flashing - repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, ive got a small crack in the lead flashing at the top of my garage roof.

before i repoint the area with the missing mortar, whats the best way to patch/repair the crack/hole

Sponsored Links
I would clean it up and solder it with plumbers solder. OR Make the chase bigger and fit a cover flashing.

Sponsored Links
No need to get the bottles out (assuming you have a set to hand)
If you were to go with that drastic action off comes the ridge and a large welded v saddle fitted underneath.
Ridge back on...more work than its worth...
As above sensible option is to chase out and fit an additional flashing over the split and lack of cover.
Anyone who attempted to "solder" that is potentially insane.

As above sensible option is to chase out and fit an additional flashing over the split and lack of cover.

Cheers.
Would you tuck the additional flashing piece down into the gap between the end of the ridge tile and wall as per how its already been done (obvious making sure to cover the lap)?

rob600,

Fwiw: not much weather going to get in there just below the covered apex.
But If you wanted to do a codge, then all thats needed is to lightly hammer the lead over to seal the hole - a tiny bit of bossing.

As above, best would be to remove that attempt at a chase in, and fit a new saddle that will go wide & be chased into the bed, and will cover the last ridge tile by about 100mm.

Dont tuck anything down the gap. Just leave the old lead in place, it will be covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back