Lead flashing legal not common sense

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is a single storey sloping roof which is attached to my neighbours two storey property. There is render flashing between her wall and my slate tiles.
I am dry inside my house.
She has water leaking into her kitchen and blames me. Her flat roof a storey above is in ooor condition and most likely the cause of her water.

I appreciate the best course of action is to just redo the flashing however she is a neighbour from hell and is also a lawyer.

When I lived in my last house it was mid terrace and was stepped higher than my neighbour so my wall was higher and a leak into the lower neighbours house was fixed through the estate I purchased from as the legal minds said that my water on the wall higher has to run down the wall without causing my neighbour to get wet. It was my houses water to dispose of safely. The current scenario is the reverse of my previous house but can find no stayed case.

Anyone know of any cases to help me

Sponsored Links
Stupid question: Where's the water coming from?
On her top floor or along the wall where your lead flashing is attached?
If I understand it correctly, your roof is attached to her (hopefully) vertical wall, so how can your lead flashing cause a leak?
At best she could get dampness, but not a leak.
That's assuming it's a cavity wall.

Thanks for the reply. My thoughts entirely. My roof has cement flashing and doesn’t enter her brickwork like lead flashing. She has a Victorian villa so maybe solid wall.

I reckon it’s rondo with her flat roof and crack in the wall. However as she is a pain I wanted something solid to pass to her.

On a side note she had a leak in her cellar and sent a company to check if it was caused by her other neighbour. It wasn’t but that wasn’t the answer she wanted so sent another three companies to check and get a different result. Still wasn’t the neighbour!

Sponsored Links
OP,
photos please esp. at the abutment of the roof and the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back