Lead Flashing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All, I want to install some 6" lead flashing around these upstand walls which are approx 700mm high, to go over the felt going up the walls. .

As you see here there are coping stones and they're in ok nick. Do you think I can tuck the lead in underneath the copingstones or should I grind out a line half way up the wall and install it there - lower?

many thanks for reading....

Attachments

• 20161114_105358.jpg
    20161114_105358.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
Where on the 700mm high walls did you plan on fitting the 150mm flashing?

How do you propose to get the lead flashing in under the coping stones.

Sponsored Links
I was going to grind out a line. I can get my angle grinder underneath. So can it go there or lower?

You've got a 700mm upstand; just how high up that does the felt go, and how well is it sealed to the wall

If you have a convenient mortar line just above the felt, then rake that out, and use that instead. If not, cut a line somewhere convenient,

thanks all. There's felt strips going up the upstand walls to beneath the copes. Some of the felt has collapsed and come away completely..On a higher section of the wall which is about 1m high, the felt doesn't go all the way to the copes and is exposed to the weather. There are holes in it.

I did a repair on the roof which the insurance wouldn't pay for cos they said there was no lead cover flashings anywhere. So I thought install some all the way along and tuck it under the copes? But not sure if that's a good idea.

Then you might be better of cutting down the felt to about 100mm from the roof, and then installing the lead flashing.

Your insurers were wrong, as you don't need lead cover flashing.

With that felt upstand so high up the wall, it is sheltered by the copings, so as long as the felt is sealed sufficiently, then it's fine.

If you want to install lead, then don't disturb the copings. Cut a joint one or two courses below, or lower.

Roofing felt does not like the sun, some component of it rots away and the tarry bit goes rock hard. I would go along with Woody and remove as much of it as possible because it will fail at some time. 6" is only just enough to flash from the base upwards.
Frank

Ok Ill do that then and I won't disturb the copes. About 6" up from the roof surface the lead shall go. Many thanks for your help fellers ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back