Lead Mains & Leaking Mains Stopcock (-photos added)

just tell enough lies until you get your own way for free or cheap

I understand boundary boxes used to get serviced by the water authority on a regular basis as a system of plan preventative maintenance. Water shortages were also less frequent in the past because of the many small though relatively expensive to run reservoires in commission.

Privatisation brought an end to all the above, less customer service for no less cost. So how did those executives wanting to make a name for themselves "turning companies around" get away with it ?

Yes I guess they just told enough lies until they got their own way.

Sponsored Links
I assumed I would have to get the Water Board in to replace stopcock
as only they could isolate the mains (as there is no stopcock on pavement).

I didn't know about this "freezing pipe" mallarkey.
So I guess I can get a plumber in to replace stopcock if they can do the job.

Should this be a straightforward job for a plumber
-new stopcock into lead piping ??

===============================================
fitz1 said:
i would suggest , if ur staying in the property for many years,get a new main. if not, get a local plumber to freeze pipe and fit new stop tap or repair old.

I will try to post photo, but it may be a few days,
as I've got 2 bin liners rolled into tubes, one attached to each tap
with elastic bands to carry the leaking water to drain outside coal cellar !!

fitz1 said:
can u post photo

I don't think this is a drain valve, as it doesn't have any outlet.
From what I remember it's just a smaller tap handle.

When I saw it, I couldn't understand what it was for.
If it was an obvious drain outlet I would have remembered,
as at least I could see it's purpose
-unless the valve outlet is hidden/difficult to see !!??

I don't think this smaller tap handle (not square head) would turn
& it's certainly leaking from around the handle spindle.
(the water isn't coming from a valve outlet, as I would have remembered).

I'd have to check the gland nut again, as it was a long time ago.

chrishutt said:
jack said:
There is also another smaller handle on the opposite side to main stopcock handle. This is ALSO leaking !!!
This might be the drain valve for the system. You should be able to stop this leaking by tightening it (square head ?) clockwise. As for the gland nut, did it feel as if the thread was engaging? If so, it should be sealable, but if the threads gone, it's going to be tricky.

Sponsored Links
you can only freeze water in pipes if it`s not running......out thru leaky valves Or in my experience..a WC that dribbled constantly :oops: But `twas easy to stop the movement of the water in the wc, once I`d sussed it.

The stopcock has 2 leaks and they are more than just a tiny dribble.
They are more like a continuous stream of drips or spray.

I've attached 2 bin liners rolled into tubes, one attached to each tap
with elastic bands to carry the leaking water to a drain outside coal cellar !!

I assume you are saying you cannot freeze water in pipe, if there is a leak in stopcock

-so I guess that option of freezing pipe & replacing stopcock is no go !!??

Nige F said:
you can only freeze water in pipes if it`s not running......out thru leaky valves Or in my experience..a WC that dribbled constantly :oops: But `twas easy to stop the movement of the water in the wc, once I`d sussed it.

just about any leak from a stop tap body like that should be fixable with a roll of ptfe tape, unless the metal is totally shot. Failing that you can get gunk that setts under water, you could try hold this on with a bandage etc.

But you probably need to undo the gland nut to get the tape in properly.
Then I'd have mains water streaming out.

brumylad said:
just about any leak from a stop tap body like that should be fixable with a roll of ptfe tape, unless the metal is totally shot. Failing that you can get gunk that setts under water, you could try hold this on with a bandage etc.

jack said:
But you probably need to undo the gland nut to get the tape in properly. Then I'd have mains water streaming out.
Not if you close the stop tap first! You haven't said that the stop tap doesn't work, have you? If you can close the stop tap just once, seal the leaks and fit a new stop tap downstream, then your problems are over.

Stopcock does work.

I thought if I undo gland nut, then stopcock handle will loosen/come apart and leak will get worse.

I assume you are saying that will not happen ??
-that I can close stopcock & undo gland nut to seal with PTFE tape ??

chrishutt said:
jack said:
But you probably need to undo the gland nut to get the tape in properly. Then I'd have mains water streaming out.
Not if you close the stop tap first! You haven't said that the stop tap doesn't work, have you? If you can close the stop tap just once, seal the leaks and fit a new stop tap downstream, then your problems are over.

I assume you are saying that will not happen ??
-that I can close stopcock & undo gland nut to seal with PTFE tape ??
That's right. If you shut the stop tap and undo the gland nut the only water that can leak out is the water already downstream of the tap in your pipes. You can reduce the pressure and volume of this by opening your lowest mains tap.

I thought I would have to get the Water Board in to replace stopcock
as I assumed only they could isolate the mains (as there is no stopcock on pavement).

Should this be a straightforward job for a plumber
-putting a new stopcock into lead piping ??

===============================================
fitz1 said:
i would suggest , if ur staying in the property for many years,get a new main. if not, get a local plumber to freeze pipe and fit new stop tap or repair old.

brumylad said:
Yes I guess they just told enough lies until they got their own way.
And I guess that you believe that two wrongs do make a right.

fitz1, where do you get this information from?
Ref. the lead pipe issue i understand the regs to say that lead must be removed during any repair work to the water service.
Perhaps i'm wrong.

You used to be able to get a grant to replace lead water pipes (it is a bit poisonous and damages brain development in children and babies, so you aren't even supposed to use lead solder on drinking water pipes now). Ask your water supplier and local council if a grant or other help is available, if no joy ask at CAB.

If it is one pipe supplying several flats there ought to be reference in the lease to shared cost of repairs and replacements. Your neighbours will probably be uninterested in chipping in though, unless the water stops working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back