Lead solder on potable water

I find that not overheating the fitting is essential.
At my last place, there were moulding machines with hot and cold water supplies for heating and cooling them. These got swapped/moved around from time to time as they needed overhaul or requirements changed. The plumbing tended to be in 22 or 28mm copper.

One day I walked past and one of the fitters was struggling to get the solder to 'take' ... in a pipe and fitting that had long since turned blue/black with heat :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Tomplum has a video where he demonstrates how you CAN'T overheat a 15mm fitting. Of course heating it until it's cherry red is plain daft & most, including Tom, will heat until the fitting is soldered completely.

There's loads of videos on Youtube on soldering, most of which are done wrong. Always heat the fitting only.

Heat the fitting only on all capillary fitting, just as it says in the Yorkshire instructions.............Been doing it since I started my time in the early 70s, that's how we were shown & that's how it should be done.
Ah, the 70`s - half the guys @ college with Rod Stewart haircuts . Gathered round the ping pong / space invaders machine in the pub @ lunchtime . My Triumph 650 parked @ the college , and my M8 with his BSA . Happy Days , apart from that poxy green Yorkshire flux ;)

Sponsored Links
Heat the fitting only on all capillary fitting, just as it says in the Yorkshire instructions.............Been doing it since I started my time in the early 70s, that's how we were shown & that's how it should be done.
Ah, the 70`s - half the guys @ college with Rod Stewart haircuts . Gathered round the ping pong / space invaders machine in the pub @ lunchtime . My Triumph 650 parked @ the college , and my M8 with his BSA . Happy Days , apart from that poxy green Yorkshire flux ;)

Cheap South African sherry, sold wrapped in brown paper, Uppers & Downers sold on every street corner and a ten bob tart became a 50pence tart. Sniffing solvent cement @ college & diving into the Typing Pool at lunch time....................Happy Days.............. :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back