Leak coming from around my bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Just moved into a new property and noticed I have two leaks around my bath.

20160727_055414.jpg 20160727_055405.jpg

It seems the sealant has eroded znd is letting water through.

What is the best way to repair. Can I patch or or do I need to replace it all?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit difficult to see if the black bits are gaps or just mould formations but I'd always remove the old sealant with a sharp blade, clean and dry the area and then renew with a Dow Corning sealant.
If you remove the bath panel, you'll see where the water is coursing through.
John :)

I agree with John, once it starts to go in a small area it will only get worse so replacing the whole lot is a better answer than just patching it.

Thanks.

I think it's mould so will get to replacing it.

So replacing the whole sealant around the bath is best.

I loozed under the bath after I had a shower and could see water marks on the floor directly under these gaps.

Sponsored Links
So I've stripped as much of the old sealant away.

I think part of the problem is that the bath isn't very sturdy when I was leaning on it to cut away the sealant it moved more than I would expect.

20160729_233615.jpg 20160729_233603.jpg 20160729_233555.jpg 20160729_233648.jpg

The bath doesn't seem very well fitted.

Any ideas how to make it more stable before I seal it.

That bath needs moving nearer the back wall.

Andy
Yeah. I've filled it up with water to see how it sits.

I've managed to push it back some more but I think I need to prop up the front with some 2x2 and maybe try secured to bath to the back wall some more, what kind of bracket should I use.

If the legs are screwed down then undo the screws and move the bath and re-screw, making sure the bath is level. You can use some silicone on the rear of the bath as you push it against the wall.

Andy

I've pushed it as far back as possible and built a frame to secure it and sealed it up the best I can.

Attachments

• IMG-20160730-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20160730-WA0000.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 75

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back