Leak from big pipe in house - UPDATE on Page 4

Sponsored Links
Well I called another local plumbers who had over 700 good reviews on Check-a-trade
It must have taken him a long time to type in 700 reviews.

Google "checkatrade complaints"

You may find it interesting.

Don't comment on here because their solicitors monitor websites for anything unfavourable and demand that it is removed.

Sponsored Links
It must have taken him a long time to type in 700 reviews.

Google "checkatrade complaints"

You may find it interesting.

Don't comment on here because their solicitors monitor websites for anything unfavourable and demand that it is removed.

Yea I've done that before and I'm aware of some of the issues that people have raised.

I've asked friends for recommendations before with mixed results. Plus a few plumbers said "we don't do soil pipes". The issue is there's no answer, you've just got to trust your own judgement unless you have inside information or know a good plumber/electrician/whatever.

some plumbers are to posh to pluck shyte out of pipes

Last edited by a moderator:
I own the property and it's a leasehold. I do have some paperwork from the purchase but I've only glanced at it and it's quite unclear about who is responsible.
The solicitor should have pointed out to you any conditions, in the deeds of the property, setting out any responsibilities you have. He may, of course, have just sent you the document, expecting you to read it through and understand all the legal mumbo jumbo, and ask him what it meant.

It would be interesting to know if the landlord of the ground floor flat, who will own it on a lease, has permission to sub-let the property from the freeholder (Council) and her mortgagee.

UPDATE

I've just tested the work by putting on upstairs tap very slowly, and unfortunately it's still leaking. This may completely be my imagination but it seems worse (take that with a pinch of salt).

The housing association (not council as I mistakenly said earlier) have responded to my email by calling me. The lady says it does sound like THEY should be taking responsibility. She's raised a job for someone to come out. (great news I hope).

If this doesn't work out then I'm really not sure what to do:

1) Can't go back to the same plumber who said "this may not work". He will just say "well, I did warn you" and maybe offer to come back out for £96 an hour

2) Back to square one and go to another plumber which may again result in ineffective work.

This is what annoys me about things like this - say it's a mechanic, you would pay them to fix the clutch. They wouldn't take £100 off you and say "here you are... the clutch may or may not be fixed... sorry".

Yet with a plumber, this happens all the time. I mean absolutely no offence meant to plumbers on this forum, this is just how I feel from a consumer point of view.

You need to do that ^^^^

The old seal will scrape off.

Am I right in thinking that you would just do this:

1) remove the outer iron plate
2) place the black rubber sheet behind, and put plate over it so that the rubber is sticking out all around the side
3) screw the plate back on. Then it should be an entire rubber seal around the whole area?

Am I right in thinking that you would just do this:

1) remove the outer iron plate
2) place the black rubber sheet behind, and put plate over it so that the rubber is sticking out all around the side
3) screw the plate back on. Then it should be an entire rubber seal around the whole area?

You will need to cut a hole in the rubber the match the hole on the access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back