leak from bottom of toilet cistern (sorted)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdy

slight but proper leak has started running down the mains pipe to the cistern, the mains water pipe runs straight up into the bottom of the plastic cistern

needs fixing quick and I don't want it to take long, busy as this weekend, kids party, the lot

I assume theere's going to be some sort of washer to replace in the connection between pipe and cistern and the pipe thankfully has a turny offy valve thingy, but I'm a bit puzzled about how much work is going to be involved putting a new one on if that's the job

perhaps some sort of sealant would cure it?

any advice gratefully recieved, thank-you

Sponsored Links
Probably the plastic threads on the ballvalve have split....I hate plastic BV`s.....but a new valve...Fluidmaster is a good one, or Torbeck.and carefully connecting the threaded connection, with a smear of Fernox LSX on the joining faces.and a new fibre washer should do it

If you shut the shut off valve (turny offy valve thingy) and then flush the toilet the cistern should not fill up, if it does the valve is not shut or it is faulty in this case you need to isolate the water supply to the house via the stop cock. Assuming it does not fill up undo the bolt anticlockwise and see if the washer and pipe are ok. If the washer has gone then buy new one and replace. If there is nothing wrong it may just need tightening but dont over do it.
Hope thats clear

If it's a plastic cistern, don't use sealant.

If the valve is old, you might think about buying a new one, complete with washers, and have it by you before you start. they're very cheap. then you can check you've got the right spanners. With your stop valve, a new part, and the right tools in your hand, it will be much quicker than trying to get an old, worn, possibly damaged part off and puzzling out what's wrong with it.
BTW these more modern inlet valves are a lot quieter than the old sort with a plastic ball float.

p1720081_l.jpg
<-- modern Torbeck

p1812512_l.jpg
<--- old rubbish

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&q=bottom+entry&x=6&y=10

Sponsored Links
Easy and quick cowboy,

Turn off the water and flush/drain the cistern.
Check the rubber(?) washer at the base of cistern has not disintegrated, then tighten the (plastic) nut at the base by a small amount using low torque (assuming plastic filling valve).
If the seal has perished you'll need to remove the filling valve to replace it, on refitting always renew the fibre washer/seal at the connection between the filling valve and the isolator (turny offy valve thingie).

And go easy on the plastic threads, they cross easily.

Suggest you put aside 14 minutes for this one.

thanks gents

there's a plastic nut on the outside of the joint to the cistern, so loosen that off and check the washer there is in good nick?

if not disconnect the pipework above the valve and slide a new washer up from there? and renew some sort of washer at the jin between isolator(?) valve and the pipe?

cheers gents, I'm not a complete numpty but this is a new one for me and I'm not good with new things

there's no need for me to get involved inside the cistern is there?

am I being a big tart and is this going to be easy once I get stuck in?

Once you've undone the plastic nut at the base of the cistern, the whole thing will lift out easy (it will also let the remaining water gush out and run down your sleeve)

excellent, I think I'm ready, cheers gents

I think I can handle the swearing part when the water shoots up my sleeve

post mortem

**** easy, changed the entire inards for the Torbeck palaver, job done

think it was the washer, looked a bit frayed

thanks to all

(and I'm very happy this was my problem after skimming a few of the problems on the forum)

Nige F said:
Probably the plastic threads on the ballvalve have split....I hate plastic BV`s.....but a new valve...Fluidmaster is a good one, or Torbeck.and carefully connecting the threaded connection, with a smear of Fernox LSX on the joining faces.and a new fibre washer should do it
I`ll claim this one then :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back