Leak on toilet cistern elbow joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning. I would really appreciate some advice regarding a leak on this joint. I thought these joints were called compression joints, but I am also told that compression joints don't have washers, so I am not sure. I have marked where it is leaking on the first photo.
In the past I have paid out twice to get this fixed, and have been ripped off both times. The first plumber remarked that he couldn't understand where the washer had gone, put one in, and also put an isolating valve in, which is probably as well. The second plumber put a new washer in, said it wasn't worth doing paperwork for but then demanded an extortionate amount for "petrol". Ten months later it is leaking again. So now it is just depressing me !

I can undo joint A, but not joint B, and I don't want to force it. I have tried putting plumbers tape round the threads on joint A and round the washer, and using silicon sealant, which hasn't helped. The thing is that the leak has always been at the opposite end of that joint, not the washer end.
Can anyone offer any advice please. Thanks.
PS trying to upload images but not having much luck.

Sponsored Links
So what one's causing the problem top or bottom ?

The top joint has a fibre washer the bottom joint has an olive.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Andy. That was the first thing I tried.
Maybe I need to give the joint a good clean up and try again.

Am I right in thinking that an ill fitting washer will cause the leak at the back of the joint ?
And is there a particular name for an elbow joint that is a compression joint at one end and has a fibre washer at the other ? Can't find any in DIY catalogues.

Turn off water and undo joint.
Remove old fibre washer and clean around where the fibre washer fits.
Get a new fibre washer and make it wet.
Refit new wet fibre washer and remake joint.

Turn on water and test for leaks.

Touch wood for good luck. :LOL:

Andy

Thank you Andy, will post results tomorrow.
I do prefer to pay someone who knows what they are doing, but recent experiences haven't been good.

Well, I've cleaned up the joint, fitted a new (wet) washer and remade the joint. It is much better, but there is still just the smallest leak, sort of one drip every three minutes instead of every three seconds.
I'm tempted to leave it like that for now unless anyone has any ideas.
Thanks Andy - I would certainly recommend Herts Drainage to anyone down that way, I can't imagine getting free advice from anyone where I live !

Thanks for the latest advice - I think I have tightened it as far as possible, BUT, fingers crossed, it looks like it has now stopped leaking.

I was looking at "bent tap connectors", I thought it looked the right part but was fooled by the name.

Thanks to everyone for giving me the confidence to tackle this. I'll be leaving anything bigger to professionals though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back